Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:13 am 
Site Admin

was tough to get the fish to hit today

air temp when i launched was 42 degrees at the ramp

water temp 53 at launch 54 when i loaded up

a lot of current in the bayou and off color

the farther north you went in the bayou the faster the current was

and the muddier the water became . The only fish i could catch was

in the back washes out of the line of current in the eddies behind points.

the rolling mud line and very fast current had gotten to the barking

dog about 3 pm. Most of my fish came on pink/purple or black/pink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:51 am 

Sticko is correct.... tough day. I'll post details and pics after I have my cigar and wake up.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Admin

for those that like to fish for large mouth bass

i caught some nice tournament bass on a black

pink jig . That may give you a starting color the

bass can see in the muddy water they were

liking it real good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:49 pm 

OK...... Launched about 10:00. Water near the ramp was a little muddy and 53.4 degrees... very light wind. I started spider rigging immediately with 6 rods, double drop jigs on each. I had weedless 1/8th jigs on the bottom (to save from losing jigs to hang-ups) and a regular 1/16th oz jig about 18 inches above that. I could tell the weedless jig was working when a rod would slowly dip and then release. Problem was, the fish were biting so lightly, I missed several, probably due to the weedless guard on the bottom jig. All but one of my 6 keepers was caught on the top jig, no matter what depth is was. Don't know if it was because it was shallower or if they just wanted a smaller jig.

Called Sticko and he was up stream near the wooden Indian, and had three keepers at that time. I spider rigged up a ways and then ran up to the area just before the wooden Indian corner. There was a lot of that small weed floating and a lot of pine needles. Had to check the jigs frequently to remove trash that had accumulated. One good thing about double drop rigging is that the top jig catches all of the trash... but I was getting my occasional fish on the top jig, so had to check frequently. Sticko came around the corner and said he had no luck all the way up past the second bridge, plus it was muddier up there. So we both headed down south of Ponderosa. We both didn't go far past the two new houses on the right. I went behind the island on the left and got a couple of nice ones in 8 feet of water, fishing 6 feet deep. Eventually Sticko headed back up towards the wooden Indian, but I stayed south. By this time it was 3:00 so I decided to just spider all the way back to Ponderosa. I figured it would take an hour going at 0.3 mph. Funny thing... there was current, and I had spent most of the day trying to find spots protected from the current. On the way back, I worked the middle of the channel, right in the middle of the current, and I got my two best fish heading back. Ended up with 6, 2 between 10 and 11 inches, two between 11 and 12 inches, and two over 12 inches. I got a pound and a half of fillets off them. By the way, they were ALL black crappie. Caught very few of the 9 inch throwbacks this trip.

SK has been on my tail about taking pictures of the fish with the jig that caught it still in its mouth. OK, SK, here you go.

Attachment:
1230141025.jpg
1230141025.jpg [ 98.28 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]

When I hooked a fish, they went nuts, going in big strong circles. Several times they got two lines tangled, but once they did an amazing mess. I figured it would be faster to just cut all the jigs off and tie them back on rather than fight the tangle. I saved it for a picture.

Attachment:
1230141018.jpg
1230141018.jpg [ 95.01 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:23 pm 

Dang Dutch, you must've been kicked back toking on a fat stoggie for that crappie too hit all those jigs before you set the hook.... I see why you had such a bad tangle.....LOL

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:27 pm 

I KNEW you were hiding out there watching, sitting in your warm truck. It does take an old man a while to tighten those stomach muscles enough to sit up and reach a pole with a bite. Especially from my normal semi-reclined cigar smoking position. Dang fish!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:38 pm 

Hehehehahahaaaa....
I'm gonna try'n hit'em in da head in tha a.m.

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

you set the hook on that fish so hard you jerked

him right out of his skin.