Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 10-17 Saltwater Report
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 am 

Went out this morning to a spot east of the Fred Hartman bridge. Fished some rocks and landed a few fish. All was to small to keep. But it was rewarding to fish up my kayak a bit. Fished sun up till about 11:00am.

Water was smooth and 72 degrees. Very little wind. Murky greenish color.
Catch: All on popping cork with shrimp. Except the speck.

1 Rat red
1 Speck. Trout (Artificial)
3 Black Drum

This is a young black drum correct? I know it's not a sheepshead Because it didn't have human teeth lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:33 am 

Yes it is. They call them "puppy" drum. They taste like redfish.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm 

Thanks Dutch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:28 am 

Watch how much fish you eat from that area it's not too far from that super fund site....lotsa contaminates up there good fishing though....
I'm surprised you didn't get into tha flounder since everyone has been wearing'em out....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:13 pm 

Tomkat, from what I was told, if you have a cut somewhere on you hand or elsewhere you don't what to get any of that water in it or you could get and infection. But that is just hear say. I have always been told not to eat the fish out of lake Houston also, but have been for years now without any heath problems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:09 pm 

Lake Houston don't have any "consumption bans" so yes the feesh are safe to eat from thar.... Can't say that fer the upper reaches of our bay system....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 pm 

The flounder wouldn't be where is was fishing since it is all rocks. If I was closer to hog island or something with sand I may of got into some.

The cut/infection is for all of the bay. There is some bacteria in the water. Basically flesh eating bacteria. You definitely need to watch this. Possibly everywhere.

All those fish was under size. So I didn't keep any. Also people have been eating fish from that area for years. Now for the oysters I have heard they was off limits in that area. So that alone would make a person second guess consumption of the fish. Anyway if you think about it. These fish don't stay in that area. They move around. So you could catch a fish in west bay that was in east bay last year. So you can't really tell what you will eat if you decide keep fish caught in any of the bay system.

As far as polluted waters go. I once looked at a overhead map of polluted water in our area.
Needless to say if you was going to eat any fish from Oklahoma to international waters. Your eating fish from polluted water. It is all polluted.
This overhead map had color scheme from red to orange to lighter yellows. Red being the worst.
And our whole area is red including Lake Houston. It doesn't lighten up until you get further north or out to international waters. Fact or propaganda.?

Those signs saying what fish you should not eat more then 4oz. Or not eat at all.
So how do people figure these 3 or 4 species of fish has to much mercury?
Mercury doesn't target certain fish. So basically it has to be all fish. Not just 4 or 5 species. Or it is propaganda to slow down the rate of these 4 or 5 fish from being targeted by scaring anglers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm 

It takes years for heavy metals (mercury) to accumulate to toxic levels in fish. So, fish species that live a long time would have the most mercury in them. Bluegills, living only 3 or 4 years would have a smaller amount than a fish that is 10-50 years old.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:21 pm 

They used to take water samples off my dock several years ago and said everything was OK...
That is in the east fork. I even took them out in the boat once to the mouth of the river in the east fork and they said that was good too.
I think the pollution was covered up with all the sediment and that is why they don't want anyone to dredge in the lake because they are worried about exposing any pollution that may be covered up.
I personally think that healthy fish means a healthy fishery.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

i think it may be more of what the fish eat they say not to eat

large mouth bass they have to much mercury . but the crappie

and catfish are okay to eat. well you can eat bass but they say

only like 8 ounces a week or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:06 pm 

sticko wrote:
i think it may be more of what the fish eat they say not to eat

large mouth bass they have to much mercury . but the crappie

and catfish are okay to eat. well you can eat bass but they say

only like 8 ounces a week or something like that.

If you think about it. Catfish will eat bass. So honestly I think no one knows what the real results for the level of pollution any of it has.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm 

I've read on a report from some research group that the biggest thing about certain fish making that list & not otherns is the way each fish processes what they eat & the way they store fat...
I did quite a bit of reading about this crapp a few years ago when it was talked about a lot & one of the reasons I don't salty fish any more......