Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:54 am 

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site here and so glad I found it. You guys have a lot of good info, and I appreciate the help many of you have provided to others. I'm looing forward to posting reports of my Lake Houston outings.

I''ve been fishing Saltwater my entire life, and just got another boat. Since I live 2 minutes from Lake Houston, I feel it would be nice to also take my kids freshwater fishing here on the lake. My son is 5 and my daughter is 10. I picked up one of the Hot Spots maps just to familiarize myself a little more with the lake. I took the kids out yesterday and just used some worms fished on the bottom. We caught only 2 fish after a couple hours. One small Catfish and one little perch/sunfish. This was in the main lake area that I believe is called "The Hump" if I'm not mistaken.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on where I can bring my kids to get a little more action this time of year? I'm open to anything but my son is into "bigger" fish. LOL. So that little 8 inch catfish yesterday wasn't strong enough for him. LOL. I think he's used to the Saltwater species that tend to be a little bigger. Maybe there is some catfish spots around that can give the little guy a fight. We used worms, but I read on here that Chicken hearts seem to be the ticket for Cats?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I just want the kids to have a good time actually catching something near the house.

Thanks Again everyone and I'll be giving you my reports in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:17 am 

TroutZilla wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site here and so glad I found it. You guys have a lot of good info, and I appreciate the help many of you have provided to others. I'm looing forward to posting reports of my Lake Houston outings.

I''ve been fishing Saltwater my entire life, and just got another boat. Since I live 2 minutes from Lake Houston, I feel it would be nice to also take my kids freshwater fishing here on the lake. My son is 5 and my daughter is 10. I picked up one of the Hot Spots maps just to familiarize myself a little more with the lake. I took the kids out yesterday and just used some worms fished on the bottom. We caught only 2 fish after a couple hours. One small Catfish and one little perch/sunfish. This was in the main lake area that I believe is called "The Hump" if I'm not mistaken.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on where I can bring my kids to get a little more action this time of year? I'm open to anything but my son is into "bigger" fish. LOL. So that little 8 inch catfish yesterday wasn't strong enough for him. LOL. I think he's used to the Saltwater species that tend to be a little bigger. Maybe there is some catfish spots around that can give the little guy a fight. We used worms, but I read on here that Chicken hearts seem to be the ticket for Cats?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I just want the kids to have a good time actually catching something near the house.

Thanks Again everyone and I'll be giving you my reports in the future.

Get some chicken livers or hearts and wrap them in some cut up stockings or panty hose, to keep them on better. There's a Marina up near Luces Bayou where they can fish from the bank or a pier and catch some cats, or buy some minnows and fish for Crappie, or cats, early or late, before the sun sets. It's a great family type atmosphere.

http://www.hack1966.com
Courage is being scared to death, but saddle's up anyway
John Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Everything has slowed down do to the heat.
but they are still getting some nice cats.
chicken hearts do very good year around on Houston
try to keep as much of the blood on them as you can
you can usually find them at the Heb grocery stores in
good numbers. also CJ's punch bait is good you can get
it at Academy.
they seem to be catching more fish up off the bottom under corks.
but you need to just try different depths to find where the fish are
holding . sometimes on the bottom. This time of the year i would try
to hunt close to the river channel it gets more flow to cool things off
gives more oxygen and carries more bait. find the humps and ledges
they have been catching around the high lines and the railroad tracks
south of 1960. Make sure the children get plenty of water to drink
in this hot sun. if they wait till they are thirsty it is to late.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm 

Thanks Yaknewby and Sticko for the information.

It can be tough now with it being so darn HOT, Can't wait for things to cool down a bit to make it easier to enjoy being out. I'll let you guys know how it turns out in the next couple weeks.

Thanks Again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:32 am 

TroutZilla wrote:
Thanks Yaknewby and Sticko for the information.

It can be tough now with it being so darn HOT, Can't wait for things to cool down a bit to make it easier to enjoy being out. I'll let you guys know how it turns out in the next couple weeks.

Thanks Again

You're welcome. You and me both on the heat. Good luck.

http://www.hack1966.com
Courage is being scared to death, but saddle's up anyway
John Wayne