Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:21 pm 

Awesome article. I’ll take it to Tin Roof on Thursday night for the meeting; San Jacinto River Authority, director of flood management will be there at 7:00 pm. RSVP. Kingwood Tea Party. Robin@kingwoodteaparty.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 pm 

The article posted here said the dredgeing would take about 270 days. On the news last night, they said it would take up to 3 years. Seems like they can't get the story straight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:21 pm 

They have no idea. Bless their Hearts....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:40 am 

http://reduceflooding.com/2018/07/31/mo ... g-project/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 am 

250Yamaha wrote:
http://reduceflooding.com/2018/07/31/mobilization-in-full-swing-for-army-corps-dredging-project/

Quoted from last paragraph:
" In the next eight months, they will move enough sand to fill up the Astrodome and then some."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm 

So are they going to remove the 1960 bridge dam? I find it really amusing that they think that little sandbar is causing the flooding.

The COH, that Martin councilman and others are only lying to everyone who flooded in KW. This whole dredging project is nothing but a save face type of deal and nothing more.

Not only will it happen again, it will be higher the next time. The watershed of Lake Houston is so large and there has been so much unrestrained development in NW Harris County that flooding is going to happen again and again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm 

All the above is true, but....there were rumblings from Mayor Turner about dredging the lake before the hurricane. Which, to me anyway, made sense then and now.
I'm no hydrologist but I don't think that dredging alone will assure no more flooding. Gates at Lake Houston dam and better management of Lake Conroe levels would help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 pm 

upacreek wrote:
All the above is true, but....there were rumblings from Mayor Turner about dredging the lake before the hurricane. Which, to me anyway, made sense then and now.
I'm no hydrologist but I don't think that dredging alone will assure no more flooding. Gates at Lake Houston dam and better management of Lake Conroe levels would help.

dredging the river without dredging the lake isn't going to help much either. The big sand bar in the middle is gonna create havoc. the water will not be able to get around it fast enough...
essentially, we have moved the bottle neck from the hwy 59 bridge, now to the sandbar. correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:13 pm 

Initially, 2 to 3 years ago, the plan was a 5 year 5 billion dollar project to dredge from 59 to the Duessen. This was to deepen the lake to allow for more surface water (drinking water). Add to that the Trinity project which will be finished in the near future and you (hopefully) have enough water to meet the demands of a county with virtually unlimited growth.

But just like when they spend years widening a freeway to accomodate the growing population of vehicles, by the time its finished, time to widen again for the increased and obviously unexpected increase.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 am 

RocketSurgeon1911 wrote:
upacreek wrote:

dredging the river without dredging the lake isn't going to help much either. The big sand bar in the middle is gonna create havoc. the water will not be able to get around it fast enough...
essentially, we have moved the bottle neck from the hwy 59 bridge, now to the sandbar. correct me if I am wrong.

I agree it seems pointless to dredge the river and not the lake.
I haven't had enough morning coffee yet....is that the plan? I somehow assumed they would attack the lake as well. If they dredge the lake they would increase holding capacity and I guess increase the speed of water going in, and out.
We've been fooling with mother nature since building the lake. Now we're going to have to keep fooling with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 pm 

I have a stupid question. When dredging, do they use a vacumn device or clams?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm 

They use a vacuum device that cost a lot of clams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm 

Sounds like the city; they suck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 pm 

Weatherman wrote:
They use a vacuum device that cost a lot of clams.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 pm 

Again not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But, won't that suck us fish as well?