Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 am 

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/atas ... 011126.php

This is going to be a traffic mess until it is completed, but I bet it will be nice once done.
I'm sure many are like me and use 1960 to get to the lake and back home. (I live in the Cypress/Katy area)

I think once this project gets going, I'm going to use 2100 to 90 to i10 instead of the beltway and 1960 for sure.

Quote:
A roadway expansion project to widen FM 1960 between Humble and Atascocita is progressing through the design process.

According to TxDOT district design engineer, Jeanne Javadi, the project, which runs from FM 1960 Business in Humble to west of the McKay Bridge over lake Houston, is separated into a west and east segment.

The $100 million project will expand the thoroughfare to a six-lane divided highway with raised medians and multiple overpasses.

Construction is expected to begin on the first phase of the project in late 2019 or early 2020 and will conclude on the entire project in 2023, a TxDOT spokesperson said.

“We’re trying to improve safety,” Javadi said during a BizCom meeting in Atascocita on June 14. “Not only make it a slightly bigger facility, but also a safer facility.”

The preliminary cost projection is about $52.5 million. This portion of the road expansion will take about two and half years to complete, said Danny Perez, TxDOT Public Information Officer.

The project includes widening the roadway from five lanes — two lanes each direction divided by a continuous left turn lane — to a six lane divided highway with raised medians, separate left turn lanes, and sidewalks on either side of the road.

“It doesn’t sound like a big increase, but we’re carefully looking at the channelized left turn lanes and we’re adding a five-foot sidewalk,” Javadi said. “The roadway will be 10-inch continuously reinforced concrete pavement.”

Additionally, a traffic monitoring system will be installed throughout the roadway.

“(It) tells us how fast traffic moves in that area,” Perez said.

Drainage-related aspects include a storm sewer channel on either side of the road; a bridge crossing over Jordan Gully; five culverts; and four detention ponds.

“We don’t want to increase runoff, so that is why it required ponds,” Javadi said.

A study to analyze traffic signal needs is being conducted for the intersections at FM 1960 Business, Moonshine Hill Road, Belleau Wood Drive, Woodland Hills Drive, Canyon Lane, Artesian Way, Lakeshire Street, Continental Parkway, Timber Forest Drive, Droitwhich and Twigsworth Lane.

The project is in the design process and the right of way acquisition process has begun. The segment design is projected to be 60 percent complete this summer.

Javadi said that while construction in occurring, the goal is to keep as many lanes open as possible.

“We’re not going to go down to one lane, or whatever, we’re going to try to keep the lanes the same — they may be slightly more narrow, but even the middle (lane) we’re trying to keep,” Javadi said.

Segment 2

The east segment will stretch about 2.7 miles, from east of Twigsworth Lane to west of the McKay Bridge.

“This one’s shorter in length, but more complex,” Javadi said.

A major element for the east segment will be the construction of overpasses at Atascocita Road, West Lake Houston Parkway, and Farmingham Road.

The project design submission is expected to be 90 percent complete July 23; 95 percent by Oct. 18; and 100 percent by Jan. 17, 2019.

The segment 2 project is anticipated to go for bid in May 2020 and construction is expected to last for 36 months.

According to the TxDOT website, Phase II is projected to cost about $48.3 million.

The roadway will be widened to six main lanes with a raised median, turn lanes and U-turns; east bound and west bound access roads as well as east bound and west bound bike lane and sidewalk. Eight intersections will be signalized.

There will be storm sewer channels that include curb inlets on both sides of the roadway; a ditch system where necessary; three outfalls and two detention basins.