Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:30 pm 

Eddie is spot on. And there’s a taxpayer funded study, post- Harvey, that seems to confirm it. At the rate of inflows seen during Harvey, even had Lake Houston been lowered 8 ft to 34.5 ft days in advance as a precaution, it would’ve dropped the peak flood level by only 0.4 ft. Harvey produced enough inflow to fill the entire lake 9 times over.

"... none of the configurations analyzed (lower pool levels due to prerelease) would have dramatically reduced the inundation extents for the areas around Lake Houston. In addition, the majority of the reduction was due to the additional spillway capacity of the added gates during the flooding and not from the additional storage provided by the advanced lowering of the lake prior to the flooding. The reason for this is that the total flow volume of a very large event, like the flooding resulting from Hurricane Harvey, is several times the volume of the lake itself and many times the volume of the initial storage reduction. This storage is refilled early in the storm and the initial difference is typically lost well before the peak of the flood. Therefore, the risk associated with releasing the water supply in advance of the flooding is not justified when compared to the very limited benefits associated with a lower starting lake level."

Read it and judge for yourself: http://www.houstontx.gov/council/e/kingwood/lake-houston-interim-findings.pdf. Our elected officials have no problem using this report to seek tens of millions of dollars in funding for the Lake Houston dam project. We should heed its guidance.

If the City ordered the level lowered to begin immediate dredging upstream, fantastic! Show us the contracts. Are they substantive? Fully funded? Is there a clear timeline for completion? A bobcat here and a track hoe there won’t get the job done.

I feel for these folks upstream that flooded earlier this year. But surely it doesn’t require the entire lake to be sacrificed—property value, reputation, safety, recreation, wildlife—from March to November. And if it does, we at least deserve a quantifiable basis for the decision. How much property are we “saving”?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:51 pm 

Okeden....if the 94 flood was actually 8' over the spillway it would result in a water elevation of 49.73' (spillway is 41.73' per TWDB). Per TWDB the dam is designed to hold a maximum of 54.2' before failure with a max height of the earthen spillway of 60.23'. You could be right that the water was higher during Harvey or consider the possibility that the rain / water from Conroe fell so fast it did not move down stream fast enough (hard to believe but water does take time to move...its not instant) I've seen this before as well on the Arkansas River. For example....my house in Kingwood at the slab has an elevation of almost 60 ft and the water during Harvey got to 1" below the top of the slab. Theoretically if all the water stacked up in Lake Houston instantaneously the dam would fail before my house flooded. I think the problem during Harvey is rain fell so fast that it caused a lot of flooding before the water could move down hill fast enough.

Now I will grant you that if the dumbasses on Conroe had dumped water prestorm it would have lessened the flooding at max pool. They just added insult to injury.

Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 am 
Site Admin

evidently conroe can dump water a lot faster than Houston can. you would think they
would put enough gates on houston to compensate for what conroe is dumping and
open Houstons gates ahead of opening gates on conroe. My son lives on conroe and
he said that night water was two feet high in his yard on the lakes edge on conroe
the next morning it was dry. That is a lot of water to move overnight. I have seen flood
flood waters come down a canyon and they were standing about 8 feet tall at the leading edge.
it had to have been taller than that when it hit houston . How fast did the water come up
overnight and how many feet did it rise that one night. Did they have to dump conroe that
fast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:43 am 

Bottom line is there's zero communication between the two controllers, evidently "none of them" gives a rat's arse about the end results.
Seems they all like seeing people suffer on the news....
Common sense is just not that common anymore....
Me or us beeching about it on here isn't goin to help anything....
Until we get normal folks in the decision making positions it will continue....
It should be a crime for some of the stupid arse decisions
that are made with zero consequences...

Worthless rant over.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:15 am 

Not worthless, my friend..
I guess I’ll go have my carpal tunnel surgery now that my house is done and I can’t go fishing.

Oh, the next time you go around Scott’s Point, look at the old boat house with the rusty roof and the big chicken in it. The one that’s been there for 53 years. The oldest structure on Scott’s Point.
Then look up the yard to the tan patch of dirt. That’s where my rent house was. Before we had to tear it down.
Had the lake been dropped 2 1/2’ then and Conroe done the same, I would have been able to fix that house and my home would not have flooded along with thousands of others.
Say what you want, believe all the excuses, lies and ass covering being spewed, they screwed the pooch. And they don’t have a clue on how to fix it...
SK needs to run for Mayor...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 am 

Oh, 5381: Conroe’s current release.
They are 1.12 above pool...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 am 

11 docks in my neighborhood have their boats stranded right now...

Wowee wow wow...I get my head buried in work for a day and look what I miss.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 am 

okden wrote:
Had the lake been dropped 2 1/2’ then and Conroe done the same, I would have been able to fix that house and my home would not have flooded along with thousands of others.

okden, I'm a fan of your posts here but have to disagree on this one. Lake Houston could've been drained before Harvey and we still would've had catastrophic flooding. The Conroe release certainly screwed up the west fork channel. But the east fork alone dumped 171,000 cfs at peak flow which, aside from being enough to fill the lake twice in one day, would surely flood Scott's Point.

Again, I'm not an engineer. But look at the flooding in the West Fork overnight (attached) and you can see that lowering the lake 2.5 ft did hardly anything to prevent upstream flooding, precisely the outcome the report predicted of a prerelease. There's not even water flowing over the spillway yet (41.7ft).

Lake Houston is not the problem or the bottleneck. And I'm not convinced that there's enough dredging taking place right now to justify the sacrifice of the entire lake. When they're ready, drop the level. I think we all understand the need. But until then, maintaining the level just feels like a feel-good move to say they've done something at the expense of everyone that loves Lake Houston from March-November.

Attachments:
2018-03-29 Lake Houston 24hr levels.png
2018-03-29 Lake Houston 24hr levels.png [ 38.66 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]
2018-03-29 San Jacinto Flooding after 2in rain.png
2018-03-29 San Jacinto Flooding after 2in rain.png [ 72.54 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am 

I’m looking at my dock. The water is up about 4” from yesterday morning. I can’t get my boat out.
That chart doesn’t make any sense at all. The lake isn’t at 49’.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 am 

okden wrote:
I’m looking at my dock. The water is up about 4” from yesterday morning. I can’t get my boat out.
That chart doesn’t make any sense at all. The lake isn’t at 49’.

The second chart is the upstream gauge on the West Fork. Of course it doesn't make sense because lowering the level on Lake Houston will not prevent upstream flooding, as we're seeing now, and as the report predicted. Yet that was the rationale given for lowering the level--that somehow we're saving folks from flooding. Who did we save?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 am 

okden wrote:
Not worthless, my friend..
I guess I’ll go have my carpal tunnel surgery now that my house is done and I can’t go fishing.

Oh, the next time you go around Scott’s Point, look at the old boat house with the rusty roof and the big chicken in it. The one that’s been there for 53 years. The oldest structure on Scott’s Point.
Then look up the yard to the tan patch of dirt. That’s where my rent house was. Before we had to tear it down.
Say what you want, believe all the excuses, lies and ass covering being spewed, they screwed the pooch. And they don’t have a clue on how to fix it...
SK needs to run for Mayor...

Saw the power shovel there 2 weekends ago, then last weekend it was gone and a big pile of dirt. There were bass along that bank spawning further down I caught many bucks and lost a football down there that I tried to boat flip, she was in less than 2ft of water, shame shame shame. Which house are you now, the one with the Crenshaw sign on the dock, or further down where the GulfCoast is sitting in a sling?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:00 am 

Walked out to the dock and measured the depth at the end; yesterday is was 11”, currently it is 28”.
My guess from the window was 13” off. Lo ciento mucho....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 am 

Dunnam Ramp....creek is about 1 to 1.5 ft over normal pool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm 

Looks like there's a new statement out from Dave Martin. Credit to the good folks in the GCWA Facebook group for passing on the info.

Quote:
The District E Office has continued to monitor river and lake levels over the last 48 hours and has compiled the data in the graph from information gathered from the National Weather Service.

The water was reduced in advance of severe weather and will remain at the level it is “filled up” to until the next threat of inclement weather. We understand the effects of this reduction were dramatic. This was never a permanent reduction in the level of the Lake.

This release of water was done while tributaries feeding in to the river were not experiencing local rain fall. We beat the rain and were able to get the water out before it got to the Lake Houston Area. We did not have that benefit during Harvey when we had all gates open well before the storm Thursday, August 25, 2017.

We expect normal pool of 42.5 ft. to be restored by tomorrow or Saturday so that shouldn’t be an issue for those boating this weekend. We will be continuously monitoring the level of the lake but believe that 41 ft. will be an easier level to manage in the future.

Future releases of water will only occur in the imminent threat of severe weather and to the 41 ft. level not 40 ft. Again, in the future water will only be reduced from 42.5 ft. to 41 ft. in the immediate threat of severe weather.

A small victory, I hope. But we must keep the pressure on to produce a real dredging plan!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm 

Some more information from Dan Huberty
My email to Dan:
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:25 AM
To: daniel huberty
Subject: RE: Lake Houston

Wondering your thoughts this am.
Lake was down 2.5’ and now this am it is up 1.5’.
I hoped they learned some good info with this rain everyone but us got. Maybe 2” at our house.
San Jac river is in flood stage and Conroe is releasing 5381 cfs and their lake is 1.12’ above full pool.

From Dan: In general, this proved the river is much worse than we thought. Flooding in KW this morning, the lake is coming back up much quicker than ever before.

Basically, it cannot be misunderstood that we need to dredge and do it now. You will be back to normal on Saturday. Until we can get this dredging issue resolved, we need to monitor and lower as necessary. It also proved we can drop the lake quickly.

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....