Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 am 

From Dan Huberty.

Bubba.

I too am on the Lake. I know that the impact is severe now. But, the lake is really screwed up from the storm. The last rain we had about three weeks ago caused some flooding. So, what they are trying to do is run some tests as to how much water needs to go out before a storm and what is the impact. We are working on dredging and in fact, have started on the inlets and bayous in Kingwood and Atascocita.

This will not be permanent I assure you. But, we need to make sure the storm coming today does not have the ability to flood anyone.

I know people are upset. But, it is better to be upset about not being able to use your boat vs. flooding your home. I’ll keep you updated. They are reviewing the status and levels this morning.

We have the ability to call water from Conroe. So, that is also part of the plan.
Dan Huberty
281-961-3485

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 am 

I dont believe that statement one bit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am 

Craphac,

Could you post some Email addresses , I would be interested in sending them messages too !! So upset about all of this !

Thanks,
Ann

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 am 

From Dan Huberty. More good information.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 28, 2018

districte@houstontx.gov

Clarification: Temporary Reduction to the Level of Lake Houston

Houston, TX - To clarify a press release that went out yesterday regarding the reduction of Lake Houston, the level of the Lake is temporarily being reduced for seasonal rain events until the river, lake, and interior channels can be dredged. Harris County has approved the request for qualifications for engineering and environmental permitting to support the dredging of the West Fork of the San Jacinto River.

Once the lake is lowered to 40 feet it is the City of Houston's plan to adjust the spillway gates to maintain a level of 40 feet temporarily moving forward this rainy and hurricane season. The lake is currently releasing 7,600 cubic feet per second, and the elevation is 40.52 feet. No major changes in policy have been made. This temporary reduction addresses the immediate concerns of the Lake Houston Community, including Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita, and Huffman.

This lower lake level will continue to be observed while the City works with area partners to address siltation and other coordination efforts with Lake Conroe. The City of Houston will continue to monitor and evaluate water demand, weather patterns and other mitigation activities.

In the event, the City of Houston has a need for additional water, the City has the ability through existing water rights to call water from Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston to meet high demand. For more information, please contact the District E office at (832) 393-3008 or via email at districte@houstontx.gov.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am 

They do have a power shovel parked in one of the canals over in the shores, and they dug out the oxbow behind forest cove and drained it into the main river, think that is what he is talking about, but thats not dredging.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:12 am 

Just saw that Conroe is releasing water, a tad over 500.
But, you can always tell when a professional politician is lieing, their lips are moving...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am 

This is a shot taken this morning from Luce near the mouth.

Attachments:
low.jpg
low.jpg [ 24.87 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 pm 

Looks like my dock.
Craphac, thanks for your comments and involvement...
And the math problem?
Since 3 goes into 12 four times and 4 x 2.5 = 10...
Yes, they would drop the lake 10’ which means they would have to dredge in a lot of areas to get that low...
So, the average depth was 7’, so now is it 4.5’???
And..... this rain could miss us....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:37 pm 

Here are the email addresses to the Mayor and City Council.
sylvester.turner@houstontx.gov.;
citysecretary@houstontx.gov;

On a similar note, we needs lots to complain about all the debris in Luce, Lake proper, East and West Forks of the San Jacinto River.

See below: Dear Mr Hackett,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Representative Huberty and highlight the issue of debris along the riverbanks, and for providing a photograph showing the extent of the problem.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is responsible for the maintenance of the banks of these rivers. I suggest that we forward this complaint to the TCEQ so that they may take corrective action.

You can report an environmental concern to the TCEQ by multiple means. You can email complaints directly to cmplaint@tceq.texas.gov, or submit a complaint online at https://www.tceq.texas.gov/compliance/complaints. They can also be contacted by phone at the TCEQ Houston Regional Office at (713) 767-3500.

Representative Huberty works actively with the TCEQ and I am confident that they will take measures to have the debris removed from the riverbanks.

If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Dylan Connolly
Legislative Intern
State Representative Dan Huberty
(512) 463-0520

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:25 pm 

A note back on cleaning up the debris. See below.

Mr. Hackett,

I have forwarded this to our Houston Regional Office for a response. If you would like to reach out to them before they reach out to you, you can call them at 713-767-3500.

Thank you,
James Hemple
Program Support Section
Office of Compliance & Enforcement
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
12100 Park 35 Circle, Bldg. A | Austin, Texas 78753
james.hemple@tceq.texas.gov.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:25 pm 

I am no engineer but....

I live on the lake so I am biased, but I also realized that this is only being done for political feel good purposes. The bad part is they are giving the residents in Kingwood and the people who flooded nothing but false hope, when in actuality nothing has been done to prevent another flood from happening. That is the really sad part. The lake was designed for water storage to be a constant level reservoir. Nothing will change the height of future floods unless you add many, many, many more flood gates (there are only 4 now). The entire dam would need to be redesigned to accomplish this.

I figure that using flow estimates during Harvey provided by the following NPR article this would only DELAY the time period that flood waters would rise by 30 minutes.

The height of the flood in Kingwood and surrounding areas would not change at all, only the time before structures flooded would be delayed while the lake is filling back up to it's designed capacity of 42.5'.

Lake Houston capacity is 160,000 acre/feet (from wikipedia).

At a 40' level, the lake is now 90% full....so this constant level lake only has the flood retention ability to store another 16,000 acre feet of water (160,000 * .9 = 144,000) before the water begins to flow over the 3,000' long spillway. During Harvey the our favorite meteorologist, Jeff Lidner from the Harris County Flood Control District said that the flow rate of the Lake Houston Dam on the San Jacinto River on Tuesday afternoon, August 29, 2017 was 168 million gallons per minute. That sounds like a lot of water...and it is. The spillway is just over 3,000 feet long and had 8 feet of water going over it during Harvey.

168,000,000 / 325,851 = 515 acre feet/minute. So that means that every minute there was 515 acre feet of water going over the spillway of the Lake Houston Dam every minute. Now divide 16,000 (the additional capacity that had artificially been created by lowering the lake level to 40' which is 90% of its capacity.....

16,000 acre feet / 515 acre feet/minute = 31 minutes of time before you fill the lake back up to 42.5' and water starts going over the spillway again just like it did during Harvey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Houston

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ward-louisiana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

I've been following this fairly closely as I nearly got flooded and I say a prayer everyday for the guy that opened up Lake Houston and dropped it just a little before Harvey as the water literally stopped 1" from the top of my slab. In addition being a "cough cough engineer" :D I find the different thoughts / corrections interesting. There are a lot of things I've calculated and thought about really all the matters is:

I agree with Dan Huberty.....not being able to boat, fish, etc sucks but not as much as flooding impacts everyone's life. I know the area of Kingwood near the boat ramp has flooded at least once for a couple of weeks (if not twice) since Harvey. We also need to consider that the volume of stored drinking water is much smaller. I personally am all for dropping the lake all the way to its minimum (~25'), bringing in every dozer and track hoe possible, and getting this over with in a hurry by the "cheapest" method possible.

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 pm 

It just occurred to me that with the lake down 2.5 feet, how is that going to affect the crappie and bass spawn? Crappie at least spawn in typically 2 feet of water or less. We are in the middle of the spawn and a lot of nests already made will be lost. With this drop, I'm guessing that it will dramatically affect the spawn. Now, the crappie will move out enough to get the correct water depth, but how much is already lost due to the water drop??? I'm going out tomorrow (if I can launch at Ponderosa) and will report what I find.

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 pm 

Eddie, I heard from the lake patrol, during the flood of ‘94 the water was 8’ high going over the dam and that was the maximum amount it was designed for. It was 2” up on my foundation then and 3’ high in the house next door. They were worried that the dam might fail then.
During Harvey, the water was 2 1/2’ inside my house with 1’ higher on my foundation and 6 1/2’ inside the house next door. That means that the water was at least 11’ high going over the dam.
So, I think it was a lot higher than 8’ during Harvey.
And, if they could open the gates on LH dam and release 2.5’ in 24 hours now, and there have not been any improvements to the dam since, why couldn’t they do it during Harvey? I don’t disagree with some water release, but 2 1/2’ is overkill and stupid.
During Harvey their inactions caused me to flood, now their actions are causing a drought. With no warning.
Total incompetence....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:15 pm 

Dutch,
Jessica Beemer of Martin’s office said she was in contact with the Governor’s office and Texas Parks And Wildlife on a restocking program when I asked her that question last night.