Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:58 pm 

Freakin awesome!
Thanks for your efforts Craphac.
And you stay after it too point blank.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm 

pointblank wrote:
Looks like there's a new statement out from Dave Martin. Credit to the good folks in the GCWA Facebook group for passing on the info.

Quote:
The District E Office has continued to monitor river and lake levels over the last 48 hours and has compiled the data in the graph from information gathered from the National Weather Service.

The water was reduced in advance of severe weather and will remain at the level it is “filled up” to until the next threat of inclement weather. We understand the effects of this reduction were dramatic. This was never a permanent reduction in the level of the Lake.

This release of water was done while tributaries feeding in to the river were not experiencing local rain fall. We beat the rain and were able to get the water out before it got to the Lake Houston Area. We did not have that benefit during Harvey when we had all gates open well before the storm Thursday, August 25, 2017.

We expect normal pool of 42.5 ft. to be restored by tomorrow or Saturday so that shouldn’t be an issue for those boating this weekend. We will be continuously monitoring the level of the lake but believe that 41 ft. will be an easier level to manage in the future.

Future releases of water will only occur in the imminent threat of severe weather and to the 41 ft. level not 40 ft. Again, in the future water will only be reduced from 42.5 ft. to 41 ft. in the immediate threat of severe weather.

A small victory, I hope. But we must keep the pressure on to produce a real dredging plan!

So Tuesday we were told this was permanent, Wednesday we were told this was temporary (only during hurricane season which ends 11/31) and today we are told that things are back to the normal level again.

My question is who the heck appointed Councilman Martin as the Lake Level Czar. Seems like a typical politician in that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. This guys bio says he was an accountant....figures. It is obvious that he knows absolutely nothing about the lake. Just sad that these people have this much power.

Something tells me that Councilman Martin realized pretty quickly that he and the mayor made a rather large and embarrassingly stupid mistake. I for one sent numerous colorful emails to Councilman Martin's staff. It looks like others must have as well and they seem to have gotten the point rather quickly so I can give him and his staff for being quick learners though.

I seriously doubt this guy will ever understand the damage he caused to the future of the crappie population, but what I do know is that he doesn't care either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm 

okden wrote:
Freakin awesome!
Thanks for your efforts Craphac.
And you stay after it too point blank.

Craphac be on it..... he should be mayor not me... 8)

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm 

43.25 current level at Lake Houston. +.75 over pool.
6500 release from Conroe currently.
Is LH releasing according?
I can’t find the release rate of LH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 pm 

Went today. Launched at Ponderosa about 9:30. Lake was only down about 18 inches there. Almost no current, water was in good shape. Fished down by the mouth of Luce and only had 3 bites, which were all nice fish... released. Left about 3:30. When I got back to the ramp, the water had come up a foot at least. When I approached the bridge the water turned from nice to absolute chocolate milk. Good luck this weekend.

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 pm 

This is one of the most amazing political, knee jerk reactions I have ever seen in my lifetime. While I really felt for all the losses my friends and neighbors on the northern end of Lake Houston experienced, where is the science behind this decision?

The crest in the Oct 1994 flood at the Lake Houston Dam was the exact same at 52.8’ as the August 2017 flood, however the crest at at the West Fork of the San Jacinto river near Humble was 2.4’ higher. While the 1994 flood caused a flooding damage in 1994, the additional 2.5’ last year impacted several order of magnitude more families.

In the ‘94 flood Lake Conroe reached a max discharge rate of 39,000cfs. In the 2017 flood, they reached a discharge rate of 79,000cfs. What I find really disturbing is they dropped the Lake Conroe water level at the dam by ~2.5’ foot in ~36 hour period as Kingwood was going under water. They were down to 1’ above normal pool level within 4 days so the Lake Conroe folks could get back to normal. Do you think the tragedy in Kingwood had anything to do with Lake Conroe release rates? Once they dropped out of the high level alarm, why not maintain until other floodwaters receded downstream? Instead they deflect trying to skew the facts.

I wonder if any consideration was given to the impact this decision would have on the Lake Houston fishery during the spring spawn or the other Lake Houston area residents who were left high and dry?

I am at least happy to read on City Councilman Dave Martins Facebook page, they have decided to maintain normal pool level of 42.5’ with the level lowered to 41’ ahead of significant events instead of the 40’ as they did this week, however I have not been able to find any facts confirming this as fact.

Meanwhile Montgomery County Commissioners Court has passed resolutions and are fighting any Lake Conroe Pool level reduction on the basis of causing $1,000,000,000 of property value losses. As usual with most things follow the money.

I do agree dredging of the West Fork and the mouth of East Fork and Luces Bayou with possibly widening the channels at FM1960 would reduce flooding on the River, however based on readily available data and a little common sense, it is easy to determine the 2017 flooding was as simple as the fact you can only open a faucet so much before water starts backing up in a sink. If you don’t pinch on the faucet flow the sink will fill up and run over.

PS, if anyone is interested please see the link to an interesting presentation on the 1994 flood.
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.tfma.org/r ... 0Cubit.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm 

I just read 4 in the rain gauge here in KW....how come they did not drop the lake level in anticipation of the rains today.

Just proves this was a publicity stunt at its finest, nothing more, nothing less. When they did this last time I think we got under 2 inches that week.