Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 pm 

I Read on Nextdoor app, they are lowering the water level of the lake from 42.5 feet to 40 ft...in anticipation of upcoming rains...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm 

http://abc13.com/society/officials-redu ... -/3269252/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 pm 

I have no issue with trying to be proactive by lowering the lake when heavy rain is predicted but I have read in a different article that they plan on maintaining the 40’ level through the foreseeable future. To those who live on the lake and have Boatdocks, you better move quick or plan on being dry docked for awhile. I have just under 2’ now to get into my dock. No warning whatsoever. Sure would have been nice for them to do this 8 months ago when 50+ inches of rain was predicted. Lowering the lake 1-1/2 feet back then would have saved my house. Can you imagine all of the crappie shoe clerks that are now going to be in the bayou on weekends since they cannot go pound the docks and bulkheads around the lake. Damn’d if you do and Damn’d if you don’t.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:30 pm 

Is Conroe doing the same? Hell no...
Conroe releasing water is the issue...
WTF are they thinking????

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:45 pm 

So let's see: 3 inches of rain predicted and they drop the lake 2.5 feet.
If we were predicted to get 12" of rain, would they then drop the lake 10 feet?
Our weathermen and women, not you WM, can't even guess right 50% of the time.

I am sure all the boat launches should not be effected. Yeah, right.

So lets just keep the lake 2.50 low forever and then that will keep Conroe's water from flooding us.
Will they do the same on Conroe, lower it 2.5' see how they like it? Of course they won't.
Why do they need the nasty Trinity River water now?
Never would have dreamed of them doing this.

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm 

Not sure what happened to my last reply. It never posted. My neighbor just called councilmen Martins office and they told him that this was not on the agenda last night but mayor Turner came in and made a knee jerk decision to get this done. The bad news is that this drop to 40’ is planned through the hurricane season which means that they plan on this level through Sept. The full article is for immediate release from the city of Houston. I will try to post when I figure out how. To answer Okden’s question or comment no, Conroe is not going to release a drop. I guess that they plan on protecting their summer revenue at our expense again. This is unacceptable

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm 

Need to vote all these A holes out and get a new set in.
I will be dry docked...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 pm 

It was on Channel 12 news tonight and they said the drop would be permanent. It will be harder to launch at Ponderosa. They may have to extend the concrete ramp.... and I will need a ladder to get out of my boat after I launch it.

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 pm 

Jessica Beamer of Martin’s office said only during rain periods and hurricane season.
I told her that is all summer long so that is permanent to me. She said the news has it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:23 am 

I had it wrong too. Don't mind admitting it. In a previous post I suggested dropping the lake level to get a "head start" on rain events. That was a bad idea, not well thought out. I did not take into account the boat ramps, boat houses, and bulkheads.
But on the basis of just flood control it might help to temporarily lower the level just ahead of big rain events.
I don't think there is just one solution to the 2 issues....flooding and water storage. Lake Conroe releases, more Lake Houston dam gates, dredging the East and West Forks, and dredging the lake. It's a lot of work and a whole lot of money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 am 

That just screwed up some of the acesss for some of my crappie holes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 am 

Yeah it could really mess up fishing, boating, and access to areas. I doubt if any of those issues have even been thought of by the politicians. I assume they are wanting the other politicians representing flood victims off their backs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am 

Conroe is at 201.02, pool is 201.
They aren’t releasing...
They know they can release as much as they want any time they want and there will be no repercussions...
Because Houston’s mayor and staff are incompetent...
Write to anyone you can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 am 

No its for real, I went down to the ( unusable) Kingwood SanJac river launch yesterday and sandbar that was just below surface on Sun was about 2-3in out of the water. I have been on shallow water fish for about 3 weeks now too. I lost a football Sun morning trying to boat flip it and stuck rod in water, not even 18in deep. All those babies will die. I have been fishing an oxbow lake off SanJac since about 08 and they knocked the damn/berm that the 94 flood put in it and drained a good 4 feet out of what was maybe a 7ft deep lake to begin with, this about Mar, and they were right up on the bank there already too, killed that spawn too. This L Houston and SanJac spawn for what little it is to begin with will be ruined this year. I am hoping maybe they did their thing for the most part but I still had them shallow in full spawn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 am 

I just emailed the mayor and all of City Council.
I told them Lake Conroe caused the flooding in Kingwood, Atascocita, and Huffman.
They should drop Lake Conroe 2.5'.
Also, noted the huge safety hazard they have created. object 2.5' below the water are now exposed.
They have stranded hundreds of boats in boat houses. Boat ramps will be affected as well.
Ask then if they were going to dredge out all boat houses for the owners.
Ask them to look at Lake Houston water levels over past 5 years. Only 3 or 4 was there more than a 2-3' rise in the water level.
It seems with all of the graphs and charts, they could calculate how much 1" of rain will raise the lake.
Ask them about who will clean up the millions of tons of debris on lake, Luce and East and West Forks.
And why would they dump billions of gallons of water out and they are months away from bringing in the highly polluted Trinity into Luce Bayou.
Just does not make sense.
I also copied Dan Huberty, a state representative who lives on the lake.
Disgusted here for sure.

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....