Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am 

I like how we make laws, yet don't bother to enforce them.

"The initiative calls for two remediation projects along the San Jacinto River: state funding to study and dredge the San Jacinto River of the sand and debris that limits its capacity, and an enforcement of regulations on illegal sand mining operations, said state Rep. Dan Huberty, R-Houston."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm 

“Berg recommended core sampling and containment measures to ensure that any pollutants don’t flow downstream to Lake Houston, a major source of drinking water.”

This is what I was talking about in my Sunday post. The chemicals sink deep into the bottom and some become sludge which breaks up even more when disturbed. Core sampling should be done to prevent any pollution from entering into Lake Houston. It’s one to make environmental laws, it’s another to enforce them. Money talks and BS walks. I’m talking about kickbacks for favors.

http://www.hack1966.com
Courage is being scared to death, but saddle's up anyway
John Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

I guarantee they will have plenty pollutants when they turn the trinity river
water into lake houston.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am 

When they flip that switch, I suppose I'll have to start finding spots on Conroe for my eating fish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 am 

What do y'all think is the source of San Jacinto River pollution, besides the sand pits?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm 

Take your pick...

Attachments:
4052E3B5-9C79-4B85-9C0A-224542D76E60.jpeg
4052E3B5-9C79-4B85-9C0A-224542D76E60.jpeg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 478 times ]

John Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

those are below the lake and for sure is some bad junk in the river below the dam leakage into
the river from the pits around old hwy 90.
Although John's cancer finally forced them out of town, the Bontas had had their suspicions about living in Highlands since 2010, when the EPA started hosting informational meetings about newly uncovered pollutants in their backyard. Environmental regulators had found a dump site in the San Jacinto River between Highlands and Channelview chock-full of paper-mill sludge. Over time, the San Jacinto River waste pits submerged underwater, releasing known carcinogens throughout the river system. The dump appeared to be abandoned, but the EPA said a Pasadena paper company and its waste disposal contractor were responsible for creating it nearly half a century ago.

In 2011, word spread when Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan sued three major corporations for polluting the San Jacinto River: International Paper, Waste Management of Texas and McGinnes Industrial Maintenance Corporation. Despite the EPA's community forums and ads in local news-papers, residents say the county's lawsuit was the first time most people in the river-bottom communities of Highlands and Channelview had heard about the toxic waste in their waterways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 pm 

Well yeah, below the dam is the prime example of industrial pollution. I thought we were talking about the east & west forks going into the lake.
But...I grew up fishing 3 places in the 1950's and 60's: Sheldon Reservoir, Luce's Bayou, and below the dam in the river. We kept and ate anything big enough to be worthwhile to clean. I would say that was during the worst of the pollution.
Probably explains whatever is wrong with me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 am 

Lake Houston being UPSTREAM of all the labelled chemical plants, and the fact that there is a 40 some odd foot tall dam in way, makes it very unlikely that the chemical plants have anything to do with polluting Lake Houston. Water don't run uphill and it sure as hell cant flow backwards over a dam. There are many potential source for any pollution found in the lake: what about illegal dumping that went on back in the 70's and 80's? how about the millions of vehicles that jam up the roads every day? what about folks dumping motor oil down the drain? The list goes on. To my knowledge, there are no fish consumption limits or bans for Lake Houston. One could derive from that, that there is no reason to believe the water in lake is contaminated. The sand and mud, well that may be a different story since things seem to settle out over time. But with the amount of sand that was moved by the floods and the shear volume of water that went through, even the "sludge" as it was called may not be a problem. Simply blaming the chemical plants for every drop of pollutants is very uncalled for. I work in that industry in a newer and I can tell you first hand that it is highly regulated, very meticulously monitored, and skillfully operated with precise controls. Just pointing the finger shows ignorance. Sorry for the rant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Hawgtied no one said there was any chemicals in lake houston from the chemical plants
but only in the san jacinto river below the dam of lake houston and has a fish consumption
ban on eating fish from the river below the dam. when the lake was build in 1953 the chemical
company's did not have any control over their dumping for about 30 years and most of their waste
went to open pits dug in the ground. some of there pits were along the edge of the river and
over time have leaked into the river below the dam. But since about 1980 the chemical companies
have cleaned there stuff up because of the environmental agencies.

most of what is in lake houston now seems to come from farm fertilizers here is the report
https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5241/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm 

I'm with Hawgtied. I worked in the biggest plant in Deer Park from 1974 to 2008. The progress made in reducing pollution was substantial. True it was mostly inspired by government regulations, but in later years it was pushed by newer and younger personnel who didn't ignore or accept it. That was from top to bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

i wonder where all those chemicals in the sanjacinto river south of the Dam came from.
and all those that are going to come into lake Houston once the trinity river goes into the
Bayou.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 am 

I think it's been established that the chemicals south of the dam came from refineries and paper mills.

What kind of industrial pollution do you think is in the Trinity River?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:21 am 
Site Admin

this is just one of many sites along the trinity that ranks trinity as one of the top
polluted rivers in Texas along with the fish consumption ban on lake livingston.
http://www.fox4news.com/news/100-years- ... nity-river

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47 am 

I worked in chemical plants for 40 years and I know what went on up until the late 80’s, 90’s, not to mention dredging the ship channel and the hurricanes we’ve had that can force the mud and silt uphill when there is flooding. There’s plants near Lake Conroe too and that water runs down hill. Just sayin.

John Wayne