Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 am 

This morning I caught the tail end of a news report on Channel 26 about dredging the river. County Judge Ed Emmitt said we have to do it. Apparently he was coming out of a local meeting with Gov. Abbott, maybe in the Kingwood area. The reporter mentioned something about $4 million already allocated. That likely won't be near enough. That could be local money with the state to give more.
Anyone here have better info? I got the idea this was a public meeting seeking input from locals.
Link to Channel 26 news:
http://www.fox26houston.com/news/harvey ... n-kingwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

https://apnews.com/731ba424607f42729ad4 ... e-flooding

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm 

About 2 years ago, Sylvester (Sanctuary City) Turner met with officials in Washington with a 5 yr 5 billion dollar proposal to dredge the river and the lake. Havent heard much since then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm 

Environmental studies will have to be done and what will they do with the spoil material? This wont be done anytime soon, if ever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm 

In sticko's link Turner says they can start in a month. There's a lot of PR to be gained from whoever gets the credit for this, so don't get in their way, or between them and a TV camera.
I wonder what their definition of "dredging" is. Hopefully it doesn't look like it's been channelized.
I read something/somewhere about changing the Lake Houston dam to have controllable gates like Livingston. Anyone heard any of that? Then they will have to dredge lower San Jacinto River.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

only thing i saw about adding gates https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/humb ... 294833.php

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm 

I got into a conversation with the money lady at Ponderosa last week. She was telling me about the dredging but she wasn’t sure where or when. She did say it’s going to mess up the fishing. If it isn’t the idiots screwing up a good place to fish because of leaving trash around or some other dumb reason, it’s the government screwing it up. Pretty soon everywhere is going to be polluted around here. Just sayin...

http://www.hack1966.com
Courage is being scared to death, but saddle's up anyway
John Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 pm 

I'm thinking the folks in Kingwood that got flooded don't really have fishing at the top of their list of priorities for Lake Houston. And, they seem to have the ear of politicians.
But, yeah I imagine when they do dredge the lake and the river it will be a mess. And I also imagine the Ponderosa folks are concerned about a loss of revenue while the dredging is ongoing. But it should recover.
So for the amateur Ichthyologists out there, what would a deeper (80ft.?) lake and a deeper river (50ft.?) do for habitat?? More or less LM Bass? More or less Blue Catfish? White Bass?? Crappie?
Would those with fishery interests (us) want some input? Maybe create some shoreline structure, maybe small islands, maybe natural vegetation on the shorelines??
Just thinking out loud.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 pm 

No, you’re right upacreek. The folks at Kingwood could care less about the fishing since a lot of them are still out of their homes. My daughter and her ex husband live there, and he took me out to the golf courses a couple of weeks ago and some of those multi million dollar homes are still trashed, and some of them have been deserted. I don’t know what all the dredging would do. I guess it depends on how much pollution they dredge up in the San Jacinto river. LH is already facing a pollution problem when they finally finish the Trinity river project. A double whammy might wipe it out for a long time.

John Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm 

I can always be wrong, but I don't recall there being much pollution reported on the upper San Jacinto...East or West Fork. Maybe a little septic tank type leakage. There's no heavy industry up there I can think of.
Now the lower river...another story. I remember that chemical dump at the river and HWY90 would burn my eyes driving by. No telling what is in the river. But as many storms as we have had in the last 50 years I would bet a lot of that poison is in the Gulf of Mexico. Be interesting to see what some testing would reveal.
I can remember sand dredging in the lower river below the dam. Probably late 1950's to mid 1960's. We would motor by them while fishing. I don't specifically remember them creating a big mud hole, but I imagine they sure disturbed things. I do remember being fascinated by the barge being moved around by a guy in a john boat and small outboard.
Based on what little know at this point, I'm not too disturbed by any future dredging.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 pm 

I was mainly talking about the pollutants which have collected in the mud over the years that will be disturbed when it’s dredged. No telling how deep that mud on the bottom is. I guess we’ll find out if and when it’s dredged.

John Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:33 pm 

Yeah, I think it is just a wait and see thing. If Abbott turns loose some cash, and I think he will, it will be happening. Turner is probably burning up the phone line to Washington as well. There are some deep pockets in Kingwood, and money is the mothers milk of politics.
I don't have a clue who has to sign off on it. I assume COE would be involved. They pretty much have the spotlight on them from the Barker dam fiasco so they're not going to drag their feet. I guess TECQ as well. Maybe Harris County Flood control would want their hands in it.
So, think about how they would do it, logistically. They can dredge and pump the spoil out a pipeline to shore, or I imagine on to a barge. Then push that barge to shore and exchange for another barge. They will have to have a "landing" for the barges and enough of a pad to unload onto and then truck away. I'm not familiar enough with what is on the shorelines of east and west fork to accommodate that. Someone might make a buck or two leasing land for that.
I guess on the bright side, Luce's Bayou will look the same, except for the Trinity project.
I need to throw the GoDevil in there very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

looks like some of that has already been dredged up by Harvey from all the sand on the
shore line across the river from bjs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 am 

These articles seem to sum it up:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lak ... xt-harvey/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/a ... 736746.php

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 am 

Well 4 million dollars isn't going to dredge much. I think it needs to be done in both forks of the river and the lake. Regardless, if it is done, it will be done half a$$ed anyway. Not really gaining anything form it but they will be out there for show. That's the way things are done now days in our country now. Politicians will be out waving and patting themselves on the back over it for the camera, some people will be out protesting it, some will be out talking about how good it is until something better comes up for the news and people to go to and save us from ourselves.