Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Running Caney Creek
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm 

Ive seen a lot of people posting about trying to go up Caney Creek or what are the conditions. Figured I would share what I have learned. I've been on it a lot in my jet boat lately testing how well it works. Here is what I have found.

Sand Bar #1 ~ 30° 4.918 W 95° 9.598 - Just north of entrance to Dunnam ramp. I can run this one fairly easy on plane and read 2 to 3 feet on my rear transducer. I watched a guy try it today (lake looked to be down ~6" since I ran it Thursday) with a tiller steer 25 hP on an aluminum Lund I believe and he couldn't get past it. The deeper channel is along the west bank but you got to be ready to steer back east fairly quickly to miss the bar to the left.

Sand Bar ~ N 30° 5.530 W 95° 10.074 - I've gone up this far twice. The first was with my wife and kid and when it started getting shallow I turned back. Thursday morning I went up and attempted to go further. I went at idle which means I was running about 6" draft and I got stuck on bar mid channel. I ended up having to get out and push the boat over the bar into deeper water then spin around, back up, and get some running room so I could "jump it" on plane heading back south. No problem then indicating its just a touch over 4" deep.

I'm sure I can make it further north than this but I'm going to wait till a warmer day and got a couple friends so we can easily hop in and push off where we get stuck.

Raptor

Post subject: Re: Running Caney Creek
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

if you hug the left hand bank going in it is 10 feet deep all the way past the entrance to the
creek to the ramp.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm 

Great post. I made it up to where there is a big beach on the w side and just could not get thru that little spot in my bass boat. Tried and tried just too shallow.

That first one you mention is like the one in Spring Creek now, dead dam middle of the river and hardly any way around it. I bumped it pretty good on plane but got thru it. Not confident I will see the peach/caney split this year. It is not accesible from L Houston park like last year, trail is gone and no one gone in and cut another. Pics I saw though w bank was sanded in which was the good side at that spot under the trees overhanging the bank.

And if you cant get past in a jet, no way a bass boats making it up there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 am 

Kisndismis,

Thanks. Yeah when I pass the sand bar on the right (east) at the Dunnam entrance I am all the way to the left of the creek as Sticko suggests. As soon as I pass it I immediately lay the boat over hard right to dodge the sand bar on the left (west) bank. After that its deep up to the bar I identified as #2.

I do kmow if you take the Ameritrail in LHWP it will dump you out by the river at the power lines. From that point on you can parallel the river bank fishing headed south or hop in river and wade fish back north. There is pretty much sand bard all along the length.

The entrance to the Ameritrail is ~ 1/4 mile before canoe launch on Peach Creek. Based on my biking and looking at Creek I have no doubt my jet can make it to the junction. Based on how shallow its gotten I even wonder if its worth it anymore. One day though when I got a couple crazy buddies that are bored Im going to try it anyway for grins.

Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 am 

Good point, may not even be worth it if you could make it up there. Its kinda like the W fork now, it takes a long time to run up there and is it worth it since its sanded so much? I know they come up and down as the water rises but I likely wont venture past Dunham anymore. Same with W fork, wont go past 59/RR bridge anymore since mouth of Spring is sanded so bad. but that body is a lot wider and I think this last little rain made enough water go thru for whites/crappie to transit, then a good end of Feb rain will push ALL of them back out for the year.

Side note, not sure what entity but if you know where stables are over on Cy Creek, they have been damning up portions of Cy Creek and cleaning it all out, E and W of that bridge. Friend about a mile E sent me pic of it dammed with a excavator cleaning out. He lives up there by that house thats one the S bank,. wayyyyy up high That killed it up there this year, but will be stellar next year as it will be easier to fish. Has always been real snaggy in there if you get my drift.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm 

Got hung up on said sand bar this past Saturday. 35 degree air temp and 48 degree water was brutal on my bare feet. Water was a little low and had a decent current. pretty muddy too. If it clears up, the bars will be much easier to see. Good info here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 pm 

Are y'all running way up there just to site see or are y'all feeshn?

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm 

SK,

Just seeing the sites and learning the new boat. I just cant get excited about cold weather fishing anymore. But....site seeing with the Lowrances blasting away lends itself to finding productive fishing grounds for spring!

Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

i believe the spring spawning run for white bass has started already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 am 

I was looking for any sign of white bass. Last year I found a couple at the mouth of Peach Creek. I did fish some areas while I was in there Saturday but did not catch anything. I will try again if the water clears a bit so I can see the deeper water.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am 

I would be up there fishing SK, no sight seeing in my rig!!!! That Caney/Peach split has been good to us in the past, real good. And the same for others you could tell by all the ratltraps in the trees!
2 years ago my buddy was wading in over there from L Houston park and just wore them out for a couple of weeks up there. I think it was 2010 or so there was a big tree with 5 chainsaw bars stuck in it, then it was finally gone. I almost took raptors advice and walked in yesterday but could not get anyone to answer to see if they were open (likely not due to MLK holiday) Truth is after going up there and failing to get up far enough, then another attempt on the other end to get into Spring Creek was failure, I am not sure if I will mount a full assault on them this year. More interested in crappie and bass. Trying to talk my son and his friends into biking in from 59 and exploring with 1 rod and a pocket full of lures. We fished JJones before the park was built and that is what we did, wet wading and we slaughtered them. Funny thing is the willow that I fished under for years is about 30-40 feet NW of the main channel sanded in now. We used to walk along and when it started to slope down, we backed up and fished the incline. Times I thought there must have been 1000 down there as I was nothing to catch 50 in an hour.

Funny, this is the topic with the most hits on this board since I have been on it, very slow overall. Maybe that will change!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 am 

Raptor, been lookn forward to seeing that nice machine of yours....

Kisndismis, that recent flood changed several things on our lake for sure.....

Sticko, I think the spawn of all the feesh start before most think....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

yes some of the crappie i cleaned has
some big roe already developed so for
sure some of them will have to start early.
usually the whites start in Feb but this year
it is in jan. Some of the large mouth bass
will move in Feb and spawn a little deeper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm 

SK,

I was going to try and fish tournament (I mean give yall 30 bucks) this weekend. Wife however said no after I was out all last weekend. I think I got her to convinced for us to all ride over for the weigh in.

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 am 
Site Admin

you need to keep the women happy or you wont be fishing any tournaments like me.