Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 pm 

okden wrote:
I thought they would not dredge LH because they were afraid of uncovering pollution
that’s covered up by the silt? I guess if they send the pollution from the Trinity anyway...
Apparently the lake was polluted at one point but the silt covered it up.
I fished in Lake Houston since the 1950"s. I've never heard it being considered "polluted". It may have had some elevated ecoli from faulty septic systems. But I don't think there was ever any industrial pollution.

I don’t know what good it would do to make the lake deeper. If the pool was to remain the same at
the dam, it wouldn’t make any difference how deep the lake was. If SJRA released 80,000
again, it would just be atop the deep water and flood everything anyway.
My point was only in reference to water storage capacity. Houston Mayor Turner had spoke of this before Harvey.
Need to increase the capacity of Conroe.
Need to increase the capacity at the Conroe dam.
Need to dredge the San Jacinto.
Need to dredge LH.
Need to increase the capacity at the LH dam.
Tell us more. Do you mean increase the capacity to release water or store water?
Need to put the same authority over both Conroe and LH dams.
Take the money from the Trinity project and use it for increased capacity in Conroe and LH.

The project is about 50% complete. I doubt they will walk away from it at this point.[color=#FF0000][/color]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

may have to talk to President Trump he seems to like taking on everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 pm 

Upa,
I have always heard that it was polluted at one time.
Obviously since you were fishing it since it was impounded in the 50’s..
Capacity for storage in the lake and at the dam.
If it’s 50% done, they still have $400,000,000.00 to put towards flooding.
Seems kind of ironic to link up to another water body for more available water
And worry about the effected body of water flooding. All that wasted water...

And... I wouldn’t quote “Mayor Turner” on anything...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 am 

These lakes, Conroe and Houston were created as water sources for the growing population of this area. The Trinity river to Luces Bayou project was conceived many years ago to supplement the water supply for a growing city. None of this has anything to do with flood control. That's not why the lakes were built. The flooding was the aftermath of unprecedented rainfall over a large area. Even if these lakes were designed with flood control in mind, it is doubtful that they would have been able to handle the sheer volume of water that Harvey brought to our area.
If there is anything or anyone in particular that should be to blame, it should be the county's flood control districts for allowing so much development along watersheds without the inclusion of properly sized retention ponds and the like.
I sincerely feel for folks who are suffering because of the flood, but to take funds which are meant for something entirely different and throw them at projects that are unproven and for which the design is not intended would be rather wasteful.

That being said, I agree with the brush and debris removal from some of the creeks that feed the lake. It has been a year or so since I was up the West fork, but there was no less than two solid acres of tree trunks and trash lodged under the 59 bridges.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:56 am 

Well said, but....
If the lakes were deeper, they would hold more water, if they held more water, there would be more for the growing population.
If the water had the ability to be released, from both lakes prior to a “rain event”, the deeper lakes would hold more runoff and rain water and flooding would be diminished if not completely avoided.
All the areas that were built up now contain the tax payers needed to fund projects that provide the solution to the problem.

I do blame the SJRA for releasing 80,000 at 2:00am without any warning anyone downstream into an area already flooded.
They are cowards and should be held responsible for their irresponsible actions. It is about the fifth time so that is negligence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:52 am 

Yes, Lake Houston and Lake Conroe were built for water for Houston, not fishing, and not flood control. I am assuming, and you know what that makes me, that the water being pumped from the Capers Ridge Project can be controlled and will not be allowed to just run over the top of the Lake Houston dam.
Someone please correct me, but I think the dams at Conroe and Houston were designed as constant level dams. I think they have flood gates, but were not designed to open and close on a regular basis like Lake Livingston dam.
I'm not a civil engineer or hydrologist, but it will take new lakes upstream to help with flooding. That's a lot of money and takes a long time. The county, and I guess FEMA, will take the easier road of prohibiting new construction in some areas, revising the flood maps, requiring homes to be raised, and any other solution, as opposed to a long term project of new lakes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm 

And....I was quoting Turner in regard to discussions about dredging Lake Houston for more water storage. I can't find much to agree with him about.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

but it will take new lakes upstream to help with flooding. That's a lot of money and takes a long time. The county, and I guess FEMA, will take the easier road
I would think it would be cheaper to build the lakes than what Fema paid to rebuild peoples homes and properties
from all this flooding.

the only reason i could see for them to dredge the lake out would be so it could hold more water for the
city of houston. I thought that was the main reason for the lake. The city of houston is using more water
every day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 pm 

True, Sticko.
But it is not equal. If LH is going down during non rain periods, why isn’t Conroe releasing water to supplement the usage in LH?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 am 

okden wrote:
True, Sticko.
But it is not equal. If LH is going down during non rain periods, why isn’t Conroe releasing water to supplement the usage in LH?

I think they had to a few years ago. Probably what "pulled the trigger" on the Capers Ridge project and started talk of dredging the lake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:11 am 

Upa,
I honestly think they are dropping the LH pool to make it look like it’s full.
I recall it being like 44 or higher back in the 90’s. I used to check the levels in the Chronicle when they published them.
I looked it up for ‘96 but all I found was how they screwed up Sheldon Reservoir when they put in
Beltway 8 and again when they ran West Lake Houston Parkway through to the Beltway. And that affected the drainage and caused flooding.
The only time I remember Conroe releasing water to LH was during the drought when they were forced into it. (Other than when they needed to.)
Then they supposedly “repaired their dam” and filled up LH in a few days by releasing enough to enable them to work on it. The Bass seemed to grow in size immediately after that.
The bottom line is that the lakes were under designed and mismanaged from the beginning and served to line the pockets of politicians and builders with little or no planning for the growth of Houston. This probably continues today without solving the problem. All the development since 1956 adds to the problem of available water and potential flooding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am 

okden wrote:
The bottom line is that the lakes were under designed and mismanaged from the beginning and served to line the pockets of politicians and builders with little or no planning for the growth of Houston. This WILLcontinue today without solving the problem. All the development since 1956 adds to the problem of available water and potential flooding.

I FIXED it for ya....
Glad I'm not the only one that see they crocks although they may have a suit & tie on....mightaswell be aahh gang rag.....
I can't wait until they're wondering where the zebra muscles are coming from..... idiots I tell yea... nicest I can say it....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am 

Dredging is only going to increase the overall volume of water the lake can hold. The LEVEL of the lake will remain the same to appease all of the developments along it shore. The only way to prevent future flooding is to pre-release from both reservoirs in anticipation of the predicted rainfall and hope you guess right. New developments must build retention / detention collection ponds prior to outfall discharge and monitor accordingly or divert to another source. I watch the news and I can tell when it is going to rain so I shut off my sprinkler system. Are you telling me that someone can't see that a storm is brewing in the Gulf and have the foresight to make for room the expected downpour; sometimes weeks in advance? If I'm taking in 6 Modelo Especials per hour but only releasing 2, I'm gonna overflow eventually as well. People along the rivers may get flooded but most homes along the river are up on pillars and almost expecting it to happen every now and then. Harvey was an unprecedented event that I pray will not happen again in my lifetime. Engineers could have dropped the lake level by 15-20 feet and I still think there would have been some flooding somewhere.

my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:50 pm 

Gettin' Jiggy wrote:
If they triple my water bill, I'm moving to the boonies and living off well water!

Neighbors on NEXTDOOR site are complaining of water bill increasing over $20 this past invoice. That's a considerable jump when the bill is usually less than $50...