Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Fishfinder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 am 

Bass Pro has the Garmin 73 SV HD unit on close out for $449. That is down from $749. Any comments on this unit?

Post subject: Re: Fishfinder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:41 pm 

Must be discontinuing it???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 pm 

Probably, but is anyone familiar with it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 am 

Yes, have 1 without the chirp and for the price is a good unit, the only issues with it is seeing the fish on d/s and s/s and cannot add any new tech to them if it is not the chirp model. It will show you in detail the trees, stumps very well in d/s and s/s. I use spilt screen with d/s and tradional sonar to see the fish on the traditional sonar and see the detail on d/s. Setting a waypoint is 1 keystroke which is very nice as you can do it without pausing or changing screens in d/s

If you want to see it in real time, pm me and will be more then happy to show you a on the water demo of the little bit I know of this unit as still learning myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Jw can you freeze the screen on the side scan , down scan and mark the piles off trail with the cursor
like the humminbird.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:50 pm 

yes you can freze the frame in s/s or d/s and move cursor over to the object and mark it, just me not having took the time as you have to do 2 keystrokes and being me 1 is as advanced as I can be as in d/s you just hit mark and wala you have a waypoint of a marked pile of something that looks fishy, and
sometimes holds a lil dum one just for me to catch every now and then.

it is a good unit as the only issue is not being able to add any new tech to it and you have to be moving for the internal gps to get a signal for your map and waypoint to adjust so you can move to it, hence why you saw me toss a bouy the other day as when you stop the marked spot tends to move on the screen and the bouy stays locked on the spot u drop it on. So you may see a bouy more than in years past as a old dog just takes a long time to learn to use them bouy's / tool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 pm 

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 am 

sent you a pm ROKBASSMAN43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:20 am 

just a update on these units from reading other sites and talking to reps at the bass expo.

be sure that the unit has the gt transducer and not the cv transduder, as the cv does not have a deditcated d/s element and the gt does, this is due to navionics law suit judge ment.

So in saying that if they will not exchange the transducer, and you just bought one, return it and find one that has the gt ducer as there are still some of these out there.

they should be boxed as 73sv, 93 sv, 53sv etc and these should have the gt ducer
and not have 73cv 93cv etc as these ducers do not have the didicated d/s element in the ducer

Note: they do not even sell the cv transducer seperate, so they know it's a dud transducer unlike the gt transducer.

so buyer be warned on which transducer is included in the box. Get the gt transducer and all will be fine.