Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Outboard ????
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm 

I got another boat the other day it is a 17' Cajun Bass with a merc. 150, I took it out today and I could not get it on plane and I could not get the RPMs over 1600, it idles and starts fine but when I give it some gas it doesent do much. It acts like it is only running on a couple cylenders. What could it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:57 pm 

:D Lot of things, I'll assume that it is not making any weird noises or you wouldn't have tried it out. This eliminates any major mechanical problems, for now.
Pull your plugs, are they cruddy? If they are, replace them since you just bought it. While your at it check the wires, is the insulation cracked? You can check this by making a tight loop in the wire and looking at the insulation on the outside, if its cracked replace them. Another check is to crank it up in the driveway in the dark, if it looks like a mini thunderstorm, same deal. If the wires check out, clean all of the connections of any corrosion when you put everything back together.
If all of that checks out try backing out on your fuel mixture settings and see if it improves. Does it ? It may be as simple as a mixture adjustment but can mean that you have a cruddy carb and need to clean out both of them.
How long has it been since the fuel pump was serviced? Just before the diaphram craps out you can have fuel delivery problems, it is rare but it does happen.
Back to the ignition, do you have spark on all cyls.? Check this by disconnecting all of the plug wires and one at a time insert a screwdriver into the terminal and have a helper crank the motor over. You should get a spark at each plug. If not you have a bad coil / powerpack. Be careful when you do this, it will shock you if you make contact with any of the metal.
If this still doesn't reveal anything, the timing/syncrhonization may be out af adjustment or you may have bigger problems. Does the powerhead get really hot after being out on the water for a short while. It shouldn't. This could be a stuck thermostat, faulty water pump, or big mechanical problems.(bad rings)
If you have any more questions pm me, I'll be happy to help you more. 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 pm 

Now thats what I call an informative reply! Had to save that one to the comp for future references if I ever run into any motor probs. Even though I wasn't the one asking...Thanks for the info :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Busted Hub in your prop. If the boat goes but JUST before you break to plane then it seems to loose power....then its the hub on your prop...its spun out. Same thing happened with my ole boat. Easy but expensive. You will either have to get the hub fixed or buy a new prop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:06 pm 

I had an older 150 black max that did the same thing. Problem was in the power pack. It idled good, ran smooth at low rpm, but once I opened it up, it just would not run. Found out that under a load ( such as throttling it up ), the power pack started breaking down and it would lose ign. 4 hours on LH troubleshooting finally let me figure it out. After about a $100 on some new packs, it flew. I eventually burned it up on Sommerville with a faulty water temp. sensor.???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:44 pm 

I know its not the hub because I cant get the motor over 1600 rpm and If it was the hub it would probaly race realy fast and not go anywhere right?
I think and hope it is just the carbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:05 am 

CAUTION ... On that ingnition test

If this is a full electornic ingnition, pulling the plug wires then checking with a screw driver ... could cause an overload and burn out some VERY sensitive componants ... I have seen this happen on Auto ingintions.

By the way FORREST ... If your time is correct on your post ... You should have been at the hospital with your wife having my GRANDSON when you posted that reply. :shock:

BBB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:40 pm 

:shock: Yeah what BBB said is right. I assumed that it is an older outboard and did not have electronic ignition. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 pm 

I think it is fully electronic but not positive. I think possibly my problem is dirtdobbers in the carbs. I am going to pull them when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the input.

P.S. Assuming that my motor is fully electronic what other way can I check for spark? the screw driver is the only way I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:17 am 

Check with auto parts store for a spark detector ... It's an inline device that plugs on to the spark plug then into the spark pulg wire, you don't have to take the plug out. It has a clear plastic tube in the middle, in that tube there are two probes at each end with about 1/8" gap. when you turn the engine over you can see if the spark jumps betwen the probes with out damaging your electornics, and getting pi$$ shocked out of you.

All else fails ... take it to a shop where they can hook it up to an analyzer

Hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:05 pm 

:twisted: But what if I like it when it shocks me? :twisted: