Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 am 

I am a new member living in Northcrest Ranch off Hwy 242 between New Caney and Splendora. I've seen that Forrest is a yak man and I was just curious how many of you are fishing in Lake Houston and surrounding enviorns from a kayak. I don't currently own a yak but will be takin' the plunge in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:12 pm 

I don't have a yak either but I plan on getting one sometime this year. I've been wondering the same thing as you. It doesn't sound like too many people fish from kayaks but I don't see why you couldn't. It's a nice and affordable option for those of us who can't afford a boat just yet.
rjr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I only fish out of my yak....sold my motor boat as I simply wasnt using it. I go nearly every weekend but with a baby on the way thats gonna end very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 am 

I hear ya Forrest! I haven't been in what seems like forever! :cry: And now we're planning on moving next month :roll: ...so my yak will have to wait. But.... MY DAY IS COMING! And when it does, there wont be no stoping me! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 am 

rjr wrote:
I don't have a yak either but I plan on getting one sometime this year. I've been wondering the same thing as you. It doesn't sound like too many people fish from kayaks but I don't see why you couldn't. It's a nice and affordable option for those of us who can't afford a boat just yet.
rjr

Actually there are tons of people fishing from yaks all over the country, especially along the coast(s). And from what I gather, it has nothing to do with affordability but more about being able to launch from just about anywhere (you don't need a ramp) and being able to get into areas that a boat just can't reach. Many kayak fishermen like Forrest have given up their power boats because they prefer fishin' from a yak. Many also prefer the quietness and the chance to get a little exercise while they are wetting a line.

Texas Kayak Fisherman is a very active website of local interest. There are a ton of others.

LINK: TexasKayakFisherman.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:02 am 

Hey Forrest, where do you live in Atasocita? I saw a picture of your house in one of the other forums and I am guessing you are in The Oaks. We lived there for about 12 years and there were plenty of houses that looked a lot like yours. We were on Forest Fern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I rented a house out there. Man it was expensive as hell for the electric.

They were nice enough to rent it to us for 1000 a month...big place but the insulation was all ate up by critters (house set up for like 6 years) and the AC wouldnt blow downstairs well at all.

So in a nutshell 1000 bucks for rent then another $550 for electric and the house stayed at around 80...thats as cool as we could get it.

We went ahead and bought a newer house in Atascacita South. Only 6 years old and man what a difference in the electric....its round $150 now.

Those old houses/neighborhoods are beautiful with the big trees and all but they are not worth the money to me...not by a long shot. They are old and most have not been maintained as they should have been.

Hawghunter.....Where you guys moving?!? Closer to Humble I hope.....when ya getting your Yak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:46 am 

Forrest, our house in Atascocita was built in the late 70's. But we upgraded the insulation and A/C to where it wasn't too bad on the electric even though a two story with 2500 sq ft.

Our house in Northcrest Ranch was built 4 years ago and is over 3000 sq ft but my electric bill runs less than $150/mo with balanced billing thanks to energy saving technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:08 am 

I yak.
Luce and lower lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:46 am 

Been canoe fishing since the 80's. Quit fishing to raise kids and for work, went back to it three years ago. I bought a yak, then another, and, last March, a 13.5 ft solo canoe. These days, I'm using the canoe, weighs all of 40 lbs. Still have my tandem canoe from the 80's. Have a trolling motor for it, but haven't registered it in about 5 years.

For my kind of fishing, mostly cat fishing, the canoe has worked best. I carry an ice chest, 4-6 rods...fish with 4 lines in the water, the others are mostly for backup, have a breakoff, get another line in the water while I re-rig. If its exceptional windy, sometimes when its rainy, or cold, I use my big sit inside Old Town Loon to fish.

I fish from canoes and kayaks because its cheap. I've had powerboats, but will not own another unless I have the money to properly maintain the thing. What's important is having some sort of flotation to get to the fish, be that powerboat, tube float, canoe, or kayak.