Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: bombadier
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:54 pm 

Anyone ever changed the cable that runs the gears, mine broke on me Saturday. Caught some bass up the east fork till the Corona Killer went south on me. Knot Rite said we can get the cable on line, but would like info. or a hand if anyone has been into one. I just aint had good luck with local shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Have not been into one before but I have replaced the clutch line in my 72 baha beetle before....does that count? Humm....maybe it was the gas cable. dont remember.

Happy to give ya a hand if you need it. Should be simple once you get the part in. Run the line and adjust it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:40 pm 

I haven't replaced that particular cable, but I've replaced them on a lot of other stuff. This maybe telling you what you already know but if you follow these general guidelines you should be OK except for actually adjusting the new cable.
(1) Work slowly, paying attention to what you remove, and particularly what position it was in. Even better take pictures as you work so that you have a reference.
(2) Use the old cable as a "Fish" for the new one where it goes through bulkheads etc. Just be sure to wire and then tape securely the new one to the old one before you start.
(3) Make sure there are no sharp bends in the routing, try to avoid right angles if you can. If you must, then make them gradual. Usually the factory does pretty good about the engineering on these cable routes, but sometimes technicians don't keep it that way.
(4)When you get the new cable in, invest in a cable oiler, there available in motorcycle shops and oil the cables twice a year to avoid breaking another one.
After you get the new one in, most of these have a jamnut/locknut setup on them you just want the cable to respond with no or little slack when you shift. IF you or your buddy are mechanically inclined you shoudl be able to figure it out no problem.

Post subject: cable repair
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 pm 

Im mechanically incline ok but dont know what to expect when I open up the control box. I will take pictures for sure, but need to get the old one out so I can measure for replacement length. If yall want to come by for a beer and lend a hand Ill appreciate it.