Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: New fishing club
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:42 pm 

My neighbors have started a Lake Houston only club.The club will have crappie and bass tourneys. Its just now getting started so I will post more info soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 pm 

I heard about that, I am interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Awesome...I am interested as well. If this website can help yall...lemmie know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:30 pm 

Hey anybody that is interested can email the man in charge, his name is
Mr. Randy Wolf and the email add. is lonestarfishnclub@yahoo.com.

Post subject: LAKE HOUSTON CLUB INFO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:44 am 

OK, the LONE STAR FISH-n-CLUB has officially been started :D . The club rules and application form has been added to the post in FUTURE EVENTS. It's kinda wigged out on the size :shock: , but it's legible and will be re-posted as soon as I can make it larger.
Presently we have six paid members and many others interested. This will be a Crappie and Bass club for Lake Houston only. Monthly events will be based on voting at club meetings. We'll be having our first meeting this Thursday evening (7-12-07) at LAKE HOUSTON MARINA from approx. 6:00 to 8:00. This will give anyone interested a 2 hour time span to show up to join or just ask questions about the club. Tell all your fishin buddies and if you can't make the meeting for any questions, just e-mail me, its on the rules and application form. Hope to see ya there. "See ya up da cut and stay out of my holes" :evil:

Post subject: Speaking my mind
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:02 pm 
Just what this little lake needs.....another weekly tournament on it. I know that it will be catch and release, but there is already so much fishing pressure on this lake. With no active stocking program in place, why not fish another lake. Maybe better yet, deposit the weekly tournament money winnings in an account which could be used for restocking. Think about the future....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:01 pm 

Lake Houston has a realy great crappie population that a lot of people dont realize. The main reason this club was started is because it is in our back yard, so why spend all the money to go fish conroe or raybren when we have a lake within 10 min. from the house? I dont think this poses any threat to the population Besides a lot of us are going to fish it anyway weather we are fishing a tourny or not so wy not just add a little compatition to it and have a little more fun and fellowship?

Post subject: Tournaments
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:47 pm 
Blah blah blah.....

Remember this conversation 10 years from now, when the fish population has declined to the point where there are very few fish in the lake. I remember fishing this lake 25 years ago, when there were some really quality largemouth bass in this lake. I'm not saying that there are no bass in this lake...I'm saying that there has definately been a decrease in the quantity and quality of bass taken from this lake.

Yes there are alot of crappie, catfish, and whitebass in this lake. If the lake is not restocked periodically, the population of fish will never keep up with the increased amount of people fishing the lake. supply and demand

Post subject: Lake Houston
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:50 pm 
[quote="otocatchfish"]Lake Houston has a realy great crappie population that a lot of people dont realize. T

W H A T !!!!! alot of people don't realize......

Go up on the north side of the lake in february and march and tell me people don't realize that there is good crappie fishing in this lake. Every swining !@#$ within 50 miles of houston is out crappie fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:40 pm 

JB,
You need to read the fine print. This will be a monthly event, not a weekly event. Lake Houston was built in 1954 and has only been stocked several times. You have to remember it's not a fishing or recreation lake, it's a water supply for the City of Houston (never maintained). It's been through several fish kills from all the waste water treatment plants that Kingwood and Atascocita has built. I worked for the company that built these plants (approx. 12) and their effluent run-off into Lake Houston still had corn floating in it. This EPA violation actually shut down all recreation on the lake for about a year. I usually fish the lake after work approx. 2 to 4 times a week. Depending on the water clarity, I'll either catch 4 to 6 bass (that I release) and if I'm perch jerkin, sometimes I'll get 8 to 10 in the same 2 1/2 hours. Also, the Nascar tourny bass fishermen release their fish at the marina. They may never make it back to the north end of the lake. My best bass have come from the piers north of the marina. Remember, every swining !@#$ within 50 miles of Houston is out crappie fishing, but fishin and catchin is 2 different things. Don't say it tastes bad until you've tried it. I've been tasteing it for the past 40 years on da Bayou and haven't seen any change in the gene pool, bass or crappie. They're still there, you just have to know where to go and what color to use. The water body record for bass was only 8 lbs. for a long time and was only passed to 10 lbs. during one of the Nascar bass tournys. These events are for fun and friendships, not fish depletion. Trust me, there's more gators in the lake than liberals trying to keep us from fishing. "See ya up da cut and stay out of my holes"

Post subject: Overfishing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm 
quote "These events are for fun and friendships, not fish depletion. Trust me, there's more gators in the lake than liberals trying to keep us from fishing"

Believe you me...I'm all about having fun, my boat is very seldom occupied by only myself. It's all about family, friends and spending time in the outdoors.

I never said anything about keeping anyone from fishing did I? The Huffman / Lake Houston area has changed rather drastically over the last 30 years. I just miss the days when we had the lake all to ourselves, and did not have too share.

Post subject: Re: Tournaments
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Junebug wrote:
Remember this conversation 10 years from now, when the fish population has declined to the point where there are very few fish in the lake. I remember fishing this lake 25 years ago, when there were some really quality largemouth bass in this lake. I'm not saying that there are no bass in this lake...I'm saying that there has definately been a decrease in the quantity and quality of bass taken from this lake.

I throw bass back. Partly so we can have some lunkers in the lake and partly because I dont care to eat them. Would rather eat catfish or crappie.

I have heard the stories from ole timers bout when the lake was clear. How much vegitation was growing in the lake and all that other jazz.
IMHO if there is an actual decline in LMB in the lake its not due to anglers harvesting fish...its due to the extreme lack of suitable habitat for bass. The illegal sand mining upstream from both the east and west forks has drained into the main lake killing off 90% of the hydrilla and lillys.

If the lake had a fishing crowd like Conroe does every weekend I might believe the harvesting is effecting the population.

LMB aside...let us not forget that the lake has a good population of fish considering its neglect.
The crappie population is a natural phenomenon. They were never stocked by the state.
Channel cats dominate the majority of the lake and have not been stocked since the 70s.
White bass thrive in the lake and have not been stocked sinc 98. Even then it was only 60 some odd thousand fingerlings.

LMB were last stocked in 1990....trust me. Joe blow cant come off the street and fish our lake. You have to know where to go and what to throw to catch fish. :)

in closing,
Your argument is honorable JB but I must respectfully disagree ;)

Post subject: Lake Houston
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 am 
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start an argument, but it looks like I stirred a hornets nest.

Ya'all just keep having your tournaments and keep welcoming people to the lake.

Fortunately for me, I rarely fish on the weekends. I am lucky to be a shift worker, and can fish during the week.

Post subject: Meeting Update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:51 pm 

Forrest, ditto on your reply to JB, it was very informing. There are a lot more factors to lake pressure and misleading fish depletion on the lake than just holding friendly competitive tournaments. I don't think you're stirring up a hornets nest JB, I personnaly think the lakes gonna get fished a lot since there are more people enjoying the outdoors by purchasing a boat like you that do actually take their kids & spouses out and you have to be reminded that this lake is a lot closer to Houston than the bay, Conroe or Livingston. "UPDATE on MEETING" There were a total of 10 member sign-ups (not bad for 2 hours). Didn't get to see ya there Forrest but Ken said you were probably busy with the website. Keep up the good work. You'll be getting more members soon since I'll be telling everyone at our annual Bayou City Crappie Club banquet on July 21st at Gander Mountain about it. That's when me and Jig-n-Jim (my fishing partner) receive our awards for "Anglers of the Year" (2 years in a row) since the club first started. Also JB, if it makes you feel any better, all the members that signed up for the club have been fishing Lake Houston for the past 15 to 40 years. "NO NEWCOMERS"

Post subject: Re: Lake Houston
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Junebug wrote:
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to start an argument, but it looks like I stirred a hornets nest.

Ya'all just keep having your tournaments and keep welcoming people to the lake.

Fortunately for me, I rarely fish on the weekends. I am lucky to be a shift worker, and can fish during the week.

I didn't think we were arguing Junebug. I respect your opinion....just figured we were discussing.

I think we all agree that the lake could stand to be stocked. The only way to get this done is to get the city to stock it. I have read that other folks have "tried" to get it stocked but its going to take more than a phone call and email to get it done. Its going to take someone getting off their asses putting some thought into how it might benefit the city of Houston getting a petition signed by 1000s of people. Writing up a convening speech and sitting in on several city council meetings until we can be heard.

The other way would be to get some private funding to get it stocked. I am not sure how that would be done or if it can be done legally. Dunno...prolly ought to start another thread to discuss this...hell I think every website that has anything to do with LH has a thread about stocking the lake.

Sorry I could not make the meeting Knot Rite. I had planned on it and was looking forward to it when some personal stuff came up that I had no choice but to take care of. I will make the next one....