Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Forrest, Hows the baby?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:53 am 

I haven't been fishing much due to my new addition and the last time we fished you were going to be a daddy. I went to Academy after we fished Luces and bought some mini crank baits and haven't got to get them wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hey man! Baby and momma are doing great. Those mini crankbaits were the best buy ever. Did you see what I caught on em weekend before last? http://www.lakehoustonfishing.com/forum ... .php?t=165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:46 am 

Congrats on the kiddo.

I picked up 2 of the mini crank baits yesterday along with a fish finder for the yak.

I noticed you used 6# line on your spinning rig- which brand line do you use?

I also noticed at academy they had other brands that would go to 8' in the mini crank baits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Admin

I had spider wire which I was very very very dissappointed in. I restrung with Stren and have been very happy. That is some light...strong line. The spider wire is darn strong...untill you put a knot somewhere. It seems like the line is too brittle? Always breaks at the knot. I tie a standard palmer knot.....no stronger knot that I know of for tieing tackle. Ken swears by it.

8# is in my opinion a good all around line but its too heavy for me....I might put it on a poll that I only plan on trolling with, to help retreive hung jigs but I dont want to put it on a poll that I am working with. THe 6# seems to cast further and just seems like I can cast more accuratly with it. My own limitation I know but hey...we all like and dislike stuff for different reasons.

The Skinny:
I am sure spider wire makes bad to the bone fishing line.....but thier 6lbs test sux ass. Stren has been around since I was a wee boy and they have always made good line :)

P.S. I will look for the 8' they would be just about perfect....the size and color are important too though. If I can find em in Chartruse I will get some. I didnt see any while I was there last time. Thanks for the heads up!

Post subject: fishing line
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 am 

I have tried alot of products but I always go back to stren clear blue. When it comes to knots the palmer is the best Ive ever used. Several years back there was a test on knots showed, the device showed at what # line broke and location of break. At the time I used what I called the hangmans knot. Alot of knots where tested and everyone broke at the knot except the palmer. It always broke along the line at a higher # pull. Since then thats all I use with great results. Forest we need to set up a trip its been to long. CONGRATS on the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

We sure do Ken....if this friggen rain would ever let up we might get to! Freezer is empty...time for a visit ;) Ill bring the Corona.