Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Lowering Lake Conroe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm 

Send an email here if you are for the lowering of Conroe during certain periods;

Attachments:
CE62ADD1-5D65-480A-BBDB-7BACF3F78085.jpeg
CE62ADD1-5D65-480A-BBDB-7BACF3F78085.jpeg [ 46.22 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lowering Lake Conroe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 am 

I think this is nothing more than feel good. I don't really feel bad for anyone who flooded anymore either since they now want to lower my waterfront property value. I have flood insurance and luckily have never had a loss, but for those that flooded to want to blame Lake Conroe and inhibit the recreational pursuits and property values of waterfront owners on Lake Conroe is not a solution.

The data is inconclusive at best as to whether and to what extent releases from Lake Conroe contributed to flooding. Development in the massive Lake Houston watershed continues unabated which is by far the largest contributor to flooding. Once they institute permanent this seasonal lowering, expect the same for Lake Houston. Even a 1' lowering of Lake Houston is problematic for those who actually use the lake. Morons seem to have completely forgot we had a drought in 2011.

I hope the Lake Conroe bunch sues under a 5th amendment takings claim theory because that is what this is. Just as I had to get my bulkhead and boathouse permitted on Lake Houston, they had to as well on Lake Conroe. We built our structures with a specified lake level in mind that has now been changed and our structures will need to be rebuilt as well and have effectively been 'taken' from us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 am 

Everyone is entitled to their “thoughts “, no matter how ignorant they are...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 pm 

Some dam stuff;

Attachments:
D646980C-FFD2-4AC3-85D5-8567A2133C24.jpeg
D646980C-FFD2-4AC3-85D5-8567A2133C24.jpeg [ 40.63 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm 

Eddie, and others, Lake Conroe was barely over 5' high during Harvey and Lake Houston was over 11' high at the peak of flooding. I live on the Lake on Luce Bayou. The rising water from Harvey had stabilized at about 1' below the floor of my house. Harris County specified I had to be 9.50' above full pool in order to build it. Then, that night Lake Conroe dumped 2-3' of water into the San Jac River and we got 2'+ of water in our house in just a matter of hours.
It really doesn't matter about fishing or water recreation on anything else when it comes to Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. Both are water storage lakes for the City of Houston. That is their main purposes.
The lowering of both lakes is TEMPORARY right now. They are currently working on the dam and later when they get the money to add 10 new gates, the lake will be kept low for 3 more years approx. Both Lakes are controlled by the SJRA and they are trying to err on the side of caution.
Lake Conroe can release up to 150000 cubic feet per second. Lake Houston can only release 10000 cubic feet per second.
That is 15 times more than Lake Houston's release rate. This is why we need more gates.
Lastly, the drought days should never be an issue again once they bring on the Interbasin Project that will bring water from the Trinity River into Luce Bayou. they can always add water to the lake once this project is completed, in August of 2020 is the estimated completion date.
I lost nearly 3/4 of all of my possessions and had 100000's of dollars of damage to the structure.
We rebuilt with our Fema Flood Insurance money and the help of many friends, family and neighbors.
We almost flooded with Imelda's 18"+ of rain in 24 hours. This rain was not even predicted and it was a miracle that they had lowered our Lake to work on the dam before this event happened or we would have flooded again.
We still have waterfront property and eventually and hopefully the water levels will one day be back at full pool.
In the meantime lets hope the SJRA does what is best for the most of the people, not the ones with the most money or that scream the loudest. The compromise right now is that both lakes be kept below full pool to prevent future disasters from occurring again.

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm 

Craphac,
That was very nice of you to take the time and effort to try to inform others.
Personally, I let people do their own research and don’t care what they “think”.
Two things on your comments;
1). If there is another drought, how is it that Lake Houston would be affected and The Trinity River wouldn’t? Wouldn’t the Trinity be low too?
2.)

Attachments:
984A397B-1DDD-43DA-A229-9AE3E9E5D0C5.jpeg
984A397B-1DDD-43DA-A229-9AE3E9E5D0C5.jpeg [ 38.16 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:52 pm 

The Trinity water would be available regardless of how low the river is at any given time.
From what I hear, they will pump it out of the river and into 2 each 96" diameter pipes that will lead eventually to the canal system and then into Luce Bayou.
From the Luce Bayou Interbasin Transfer Project website: The LBITP includes the Capers Ridge Pump Station (CRPS) located on the Trinity River in Liberty County, 3 miles of Dual 96-inch Diameter Pipelines, and 23.5 miles of earthen Canal System. The pump station will be located on the Trinity River. The pipeline will extend west southwest approximately 3 miles along a geological ridge (Capers Ridge). The pipeline will then outfall into the sedimentation basin at the start of the canal. The canal will outfall into the lower reaches of Luce Bayou, which flows into the northeastern corner of Lake Houston.

I sure hope it will help us out on Lake Houston when the Trinity River is low.
Since the City owns the water in Lake Livingston, they could always drain it for us. Just joking!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:16 pm 

And....

Attachments:
C15DFA1A-D725-47A3-A0F8-F50932BDCD13.jpeg
C15DFA1A-D725-47A3-A0F8-F50932BDCD13.jpeg [ 46.71 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm 

While I have disagreed on here with many on how much Conroe contributed to the flooding there is no denying it contributed. The problem Eddie has is Lake Conroe residents can’t sue for “taking” under the 5th amendmen for two reasons:
1 - The City of Houston owns 2/3 or Lake Conroe so we can theoretically drain the lake to 33%! We can’t be sued for “taking” what is already ours! The opposite, as posted by Bob Rehak a couple days back, is actually true. If SJRA fails to maintain the lowering until the Lake Houston dam is fixed Lake Houston residents will be able to sue SJRA for “taking”. You can reference the recent legal win by residents outside Barker and Addicks reservoirs.
2 - There is no mandate in the SJRA charter to maintain the lake for recreational activities. The lake, and SJRA, was established for water storage and flood control.

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:09 am 

okden wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their “thoughts “, no matter how ignorant they are...

Although Craphac explained well THIS ^ was my line of thinking.....LOL :mrgreen:

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting