Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm 

Martin and all of them are fools putting on a show to act like they are doing something and nothing more. Seems like they must be catching some heat for being stupid. They have no clue about anything. Dredging is not the solution.

Sad that they are going to be giving PCB contaminated water to all the children in Houston soon as well. They say is it is safe, just don't eat the fish. Right.

Glad I am on a well 1,200' deep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:59 pm 

From Jessica on Trinity River:

Mr. Hackett,

I wanted to follow up with you and let you know that the Luce Bayou project comes online in December of this year.

Best regards,

Jessica D. Beemer, MPA

From Dave Martin. See below.
Lots of fluff and blow here.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 11, 2019

districte@houstontx.gov

Lake Houston Not Releasing Any Water

Houston, TX - Council Member Dave Martin would like to make Lake Houston Area residents aware that he has not requested any lowering of Lake Houston since October of 2018. In February, the lake was lowered by one foot to 41.5 feet, allowing for spillway dam repairs, which was a Houston Public Works maintenance project. After repairs were completed the lake was to be naturally refilled to its normal pool elevation of 42.5 feet during the month of March through regular rain events.

This March was unseasonably dry which did not allow for the lake to refill as quickly as expected. On April 1, 2019, Lake Conroe began their seasonal release of water to Lake Houston which will result in the release of one foot of water to Lake Houston, bringing Lake Houston back to normal pool elevation of 42.5 feet by the end of the month. The release from Lake Conroe must be controlled and systematic. To monitor the seasonal release you can visit the San Jacinto River Authority's website here.

Council Member Martin has requested that no additional water be released from Lake Houston during this upcoming weekend's rain event. The holding of any water received due to rain this weekend will assist in speeding up the refill process for Lake Houston. The current level of Lake Houston is 41.5 feet, which is one foot below its normal level. To observe Lake Houston water levels please visit the Coastal Water Authority website here.

During last weekend's inclement weather Council Member Martin advised Houston Public Works that an additional release of water from Lake Houston was NOT necessary due to the lake already being low. However, Houston Public Works without the direction from Council Member Martin released an additional six inches of water on Friday, April 5 from Lake Houston.

Upon notification from Houston Public Works, which occurred after hours over the weekend, that an additional release had been conducted, Council Member Martin immediately requested the closure of all gates at Lake Houston in an effort to stop the unnecessary release of water. We appreciate resident's patience as our office works diligently with Houston Public Works to improve communication with residents regarding the operations of Lake Houston.

As a result of this failure in communication by Houston Public Works, our office has requested the department provide a formal protocol to our office so that we may share with the community. As in the past during inclement weather situations, which predict more than three inches of rain in the San Jacinto Watershed, our office will provide at least 48 hour notification to residents. This advance notification will allow time to secure boats and other water vehicles.

For more information please contact the District E office by calling (832) 393-3008 or by emailing DistrictE@houstontx.gov.

-end-

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:21 pm 

Some more info on lowering the lake. From Jessica:
Mr. Hackett,

Appreciate your feedback. We use three inches across the watershed because no matter what happens we get all the rain that falls in areas to our north, east, and west in addition to our “local” rainfall. Keep in mind we are at the bottom of a funnel that includes 10 other tributaries that do not have any flood control infrastructure.

It never rains the same way twice, Conroe could get 4 inches while we get 2 and Roman Forest gets 3… all that water combines and rolls on down the rivers/creeks and in to our lake. The river rises based on rain in other communities even if it doesn’t rain in our area.

The three inches was a number agreed upon by the Harris County Meteorologist and Houston Emergency Operations in conjunction with Houston Public Works.

And she also states: It is only lowered one foot if the lake is full.

All 6 times that the Council Member has requested the lake to be lowered the lake was at a normal pool elevation of 42.5 feet. If the lake is at a different elevation the lake will be lowered to 41.5 from whatever it’s current level is, for example if it is at 42 feet it will be lowered six inches.

Not so sure I believe all this blow, I mean info, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm 

Blow is appropriate.
I’ve stopped complaining to Jessica because they just don’t know and it gives her more time
to answer y’all.
I am working with them on trying to fix the rainwater seeping into the sewer and flooding our homes from the inside in our neighborhood. They have been somewhat helpful there but can’t get anyone to communicate the progress, if any, to me...
Bless their hearts.

And did they say “communicate “? They don’t communicate with the dam authority and the one dam authority doesn’t communicate with the other dam authority. What we need is some dam communication....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 pm 

Well I guess the politicians want everyone to believe dredging 2.5 miles of river is going to make a difference but I don't think so. I have fished Lake Houston for almost 50 yrs and it gets shallower with every flood. The lake has probably half the capacity that it has when it was created. Sediment and sand is the cause bottom line.

What I don't understand is with all of the stream flow gauges why the level in the lake can't be controlled better. It is obvious from the data that a rise in water is coming so open the gates. What I would like to know if the lake level and stream flow gauges are monitored 24/7. I bet not. Communication is the key if you've got somebody else contracted to control the damn gates.

The city of Houston needs to do a better job of taking of a great lake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:09 am 

And... the lake has gone down since yesterday. Looks like all the rain is north of us...
We need some very badly..
Had a nice downpour last night about 9 but that was it..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm 

made a quick trip to the river today and dam was totally shut down, no water at all

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 pm 

Pbr looks like to me that is super low or am I wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am 

txredneck wrote:
Pbr looks like to me that is super low or am I wrong.

yea it was pretty low -- i would say 2 ft probably, got up into the eddys but was little tough

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 am 
Site Admin

you must have a light boat to get into the eddy with the water that low
dont think mine would make it even on high tide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am 

bigdw61 wrote:
Well I guess the politicians want everyone to believe dredging 2.5 miles of river is going to make a difference but I don't think so. I have fished Lake Houston for almost 50 yrs and it gets shallower with every flood. The lake has probably half the capacity that it has when it was created. Sediment and sand is the cause bottom line.

What I don't understand is with all of the stream flow gauges why the level in the lake can't be controlled better. It is obvious from the data that a rise in water is coming so open the gates. What I would like to know if the lake level and stream flow gauges are monitored 24/7. I bet not. Communication is the key if you've got somebody else contracted to control the damn gates.

With the amount of money they stole to do this I felt a lot more should have been done.....
Without communication between Conroe and Houston it will never work....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am 

More info (aka blow) from Dave Martin's office. From Jessica: I did not attach the SB02126.

Yes, our office is aware of this legislation. I’ve attached the bill language here. What this bill is seeking to do is allow Aggregate Production Operators a way to be a part of the solution by having the ability, free of state royalties, to add sediment traps to the areas located on the banks of their sites. These sediment traps would allow a natural place for sediment to drop out of the water before heading further down the river.

That is the extent of what has been presented. The City of Houston, San Jacinto River Authority, Montgomery County and Harris County Flood Control are conducting a regional watershed study, known as the San Jacinto Watershed Master Drainage Plan, that will study the entire Upper San Jacinto River watershed and it’s major tributaries between I-10 and Hwy 30 over seven counties. The results from this study will be used to create projects that could reduce the impact of flooding to downstream areas by possibly including large regional detention facility, managing sediment, identifying more areas for buyouts, and locations to install new water level monitoring devices. While this piece of legislation is seeking to do the right thing, I personally think that it could benefit from the results of the completion of this regional study which should be completed before the next legislative session.

This piece of legislation has quite a bit to go as it has not made it to committee at this time. You can monitor it’s progress here https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=SB2126. I would encourage you to reach out to your state senator’s office for more information as Senator Creighton has authored this piece of legislation, is the Vice Chair of the Water and Rural Affairs Committee, and also represents your area.

Best regards,

Jessica D. Beemer, MPA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:44 pm 

bigdw61 wrote:

Lake Houston was built to be a water reservoir and not for flood control. That is really the crux of the issue. Any real plan to use the lake for flood control would involve building additional flood gates. Unless they can get the feds to pay for that, I just don't see it happening. Really good report below. Pretty much draws conclusions opposite to everything Martin and his lying cronies are doing. Basically even if the city added 14 more flood gates, there would only be a 2' lake level reduction for a Harvey type event if they lowered the lake level by 8 feet prior to the storm. The study does not appear to factor into it's conclusions any detail about the continuing development that is currently going on in the Lake Houston watershed which shows no signs of slowing down. I can bet that even with 14 more flood gates and continued development for another 10-20 years, another Harvey flood could be even worse for KW. Basically KW will flood again someday.

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/e/king ... ndings.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm 

What KW a flood zone? It'll never be listed as so.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:39 pm 

Harvey was a devestating flood. Most of homes in the flood zone flooded. Some could have been spared had Lake Houston prereleased water prior to the event. They said they did but they lied.
But the flooding of all the homes that weren’t in the flood zone was due to the SJRA
releasing too much water too fast in the middle of the night with no warning or communication with anyone downstream.
The coh needs to hire a concern to handle both lakes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next