Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Plea for 3 Lake Houston
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm 

If you haven't heard of "Plea for 3"...

http://www.lakehouston.org/recoverlakehouston

Portion copied and pasted below:

At the request of area elected officials, we are coordinating a mass letter writing campaign to ask the State of Texas take to immediate action on three items to help the Lake Houston Area recover and prevent future flooding: Remediation, Reduction and Representation.

1. Remediation: Full funding to dredge both Lake Houston and the San Jacinto River in order to remove the sand, siltation and debris deposits and stricter enforcement of TCEQ regulations on legal and illegal sand mining operations.

2. Reduction: Decrease the pooling level of Lake Conroe from 201 feet above sea level to 198 feet by pre-releasing water from Lake Conroe in a slow, systematic flow to ensure the dam at Lake Houston can efficiently and safely release the added water to the Gulf of Mexico. This is CRITICAL as the area has experienced three flood events since 2015.

3. Representation: Add three interim board members to the San Jacinto River Authority representing communities downstream impacted by the release of water from Lake Conroe. These appointed board members would serve until legislation can be crafted to best address the issue of downstream representation on their board.

The state has not issued any plans or funding to help with remediation in our communities. It is incumbent upon every citizen and business in the Lake Houston Area to gain the attention of state officials and decision makers and request action.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm 

#4 DO NOT add extra water to Lake Houston from the Trinity River... /sarcasm Can't stop that one now.

I like numbers 2 and 3, but I'm on the fence about the first point...yes, dredging to remove the sand and silt will open up the waterway for easier flow of water, but will destroy tons of prime habitat for the fishery, most notably for the white bass. Lake Houston is an urban gem of a lake and I would hate to see part of it go. That being said, the SJRA has to be more responsible about how it manages water in its ENTIRE flowage, not just around the millionaires living waterfront on Conroe.

I also don't think point number two will ever get traction because everyone living on Conroe would have to spend too much money "fixing" their waterfront property for the new water level. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm 

I am all for #1 mainly. River is a big mess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

yes for number 1 the sediment was 4 feet before the storm.
the lake does not hold near as much water as it should.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm 

What aahh mess that's gonna cause....
Why are they worried bout it any way, they gonna wash everything over the dam anyway with that polluted water they're getting ready to dump in tha lake.....
Glad I've got a good head start on scanning Conroe..... I'll be posting gps cords after they start pumping that crapp into tha lake......
It is amazing how much sand Harvey moved round....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm 

GJ they don't care bout tha feesh..... all's they care bout is hurrying up & getting those zebra muscle in tha lake so they can triple everyone's water bill....
Believe that..... it's coming.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm 

money money money....... money......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

that will plug up their pumping stations i would hate to be the mechanic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm 

If they triple my water bill, I'm moving to the boonies and living off well water!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:56 pm 

I spoke to a friend this morning, Cy Creek is currently being dredged and the shorelines clear on both sides, E of Cypresswood bridge. They just started going W of there this week. I will go over there tomorrow and look at it, but he was very detailed about work boats, 2 barges and a large shovel on one of them. Hope they keep going into Spring Creek....and up the San Jac!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 pm 

I think I mentioned dredging Lake Houston a couple years ago when the Capers Ridge project started getting attention. I think it could be done responsibly. Make Lake Houston deep, really deep, and use some of the spoil to create islands for estuaries. It's being done in upper Galveston Bay, I believe at the urging of Galveston Bay Foundation and other environmentalists.
Same thing with San Jacinto River below the dam. I can remember when there were dredges in the river, probably the early 1960's. I assume they were just sand dredges, but it's about the same thing.
I talked to old timers years ago about the Trinity River around Liberty. They said it didn't look anything like it does now. It had high steep banks and a deep channel. They said after the Livingston dam it started slowly sanding in and getting shallower.
I think if done right the dredging could be beneficial to most everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 am 

Confirmed yesterday. 3 barges in the creek right there at Cypresswood, and it looks like they are going W. E side is cleaned out wide and about 20ft back of the bank ( hydroaxed)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:40 pm 

A long streak of muddy water from west side of the lake vicinity 1960 up past Lake Houston Parkway bridge and westward yesterday. Obviously due to the dredging.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm 

I thought they would not dredge LH because they were afraid of uncovering pollution
that’s covered up by the silt? I guess if they send the pollution from the Trinity anyway...
Apparently the lake was polluted at one point but the silt covered it up.
I don’t know what good it would do to make the lake deeper. If the pool was to remain the same at
the dam, it wouldn’t make any difference how deep the lake was. If SJRA released 80,000
again, it would just be atop the deep water and flood everything anyway.
Need to increase the capacity of Conroe.
Need to increase the capacity at the Conroe dam.
Need to dredge the San Jacinto.
Need to dredge LH.
Need to increase the capacity at the LH dam.
Need to put the same authority over both Conroe and LH dams.
Take the money from the Trinity project and use it for increased capacity in Conroe and LH.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm 

On a positive note; my cabinets are coming today....
And... thanks for the info, Rocket....